Register Now
Kane99

Switch eShop games can't be lower than $1.99?

According to Nintendo Everything, Nintendo has made a new rules, that games on their eShop marketplace, can't go below $1.99. Supposedly it's a way to curb the problem for crap games getting on the marketplace, getting a ton of downloads and getting to the front of the top downloads lists. 

What do you guys think of this? 

17 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I bought two games yesterday. One was 20 cents, and the other was 60 cents. So they're not enforcing this rule very hard.

At least not yet, but I suspect it'll be happening soon. My guess though, is that some games already priced that low, or are free won't be affected. But I could be wrong. As well, it could be that the game was on sale, which I imagine could go below $1.99 sometimes. 

New rules that aren't being enforced lol - Maybe they not making much money from games that are lower then $1.99 and so that added this rule and made it so that they have 5 months to remove or change. Why they doing this though, I say money making. 

If they enforce that rule a lot of retro games on their shop wont' sale. it's like many folks choose itch.io these days where you can get low cost games but if they enforce such rule the people who want to pay low would move to other stores. 

switch.io has put out a lot of great games, and I play the hell out of the ones I've got. The best thing is that their games rarely cost more than a dollar. If Nintendo enforces this, then the eShop is going to be hit hard and come close to crashing. A lot of developers will be forced to go elsewhere, and Nintendo will lose millions, and possibly even billions if they get really snippety with it.

Guess they want to make more money, but I don't think they will enforce it hard. After all it will make some developers go to other platforms, and we know that some games can blow up like Among Us and make them a lot of money.

I haven't looked in the marketplace in a while. I don't really mind if they enforce the rule or not. $1.99 is not a lot of money. People should support game developers. That's why I don't mind paying the $60 price for some games. So much work and planning goes into making a video game. 

I haven't taken a good look in the eshop for a while now on the Nintendo Switch but did they ever enforce this? I remember the last time I took a good look in the eshop I was seeing games for cheaper than $1.99 so this can't have been implemented yet when I looked. I can understand why they would want to do this though as many good developers could lose out on possible sales if people who go really cheap for games that didn't have half the work put in as some do would just take over and they would get lost in the crowd over cheaper prices. It's a good idea on Nintendo's part for sure!

I'm in the eShop a lot looking for any games that I think look good. A lot of them cost less than the $2 threshold that Nintendo was supposedly setting. But I do have to say that the amount of games is significantly less than previous years. So maybe it's been partially enforced, but it's not a total block as of yet. At least from what I can see.