Register Now
Kane99

Why is Five Nights at Freddy's so popular?

So this game franchise has been around for 5 or more years by now, and I don't understand why it's so popular. Can anyone explain it to me? I saw gameplay of it, and all it looks like is a jump scare game. I get the point of the game, but I just can't see people being into it. I could see myself getting very bored playing this game. 

And the series has like a million games already, and it seems to keep going with spin-offs and other things. Next thing ya know, they're going to make a feature length movie version. 

Anyway, can you explain to me why it's so liked? 

A jump scare is always popular especially if kids can play it on their phone. It was that kind of era where that, slanderman, and other jump scares became popular. I didn't hear anyone talk about it for a long time tho, but I guess it is still around if the devs could updated it and make it fun. If a multiplayer version gets out that would be fun.

Edited by Shole

I've known about this game for a LONG time and I still ask myself that very same question. I haven't made an attempt to even get the game or have any interest for that matter. I didn't even remember it exists - it's one of those gaming fads that have faded over the years.

I really couldn't tell you anymore. I was actually into it when the franchise was in its infancy. It's known for the jumpscares, yes, but there's also a lot of complex storytelling going on. Kind of like the Lost craze. You hint at stuff, and then let the fanbase go wild with speculation. Not to mention the creepy atmosphere/style. That haunted carnival look really resonated with people, I guess. And I'm not going to lie, that goddamn purple rabbit scared the crap out of me when the first game came out back in 2014.
But these days, I think this franchise is as much of a zombie as its animatronics. This thing should have died years ago, imo. Now it's just overrun with kids who want to seem edgy. A shame, really.

14 hours ago, skyfire said:

I think it got viral due to the youtubers mostly and also due to the anime community that is out there. 

Yeah, that's the only way I see it gaining the popularity it got. I think the first one was released for free as well, so that kind of helped I think. Kind of how the Slenderman game was free and got super popular. Streamers and lets players sure did help. 

9 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Yeah, that's the only way I see it gaining the popularity it got. I think the first one was released for free as well, so that kind of helped I think. Kind of how the Slenderman game was free and got super popular. Streamers and lets players sure did help. 

I follow few anime artists on youtube and they have kind of connected "markiplier" and few other youtubers with "five nights" and it shows in their art. Popularity started purely because of this approach. when community builds content for you, then that game has more chances of survival long term. 

They're not scary, they're surprising. Real fear comes from something conceptual or monstrous that you can't comprehend and not only that, but you aren't sure how to deal with. For example what makes something like the slenderman scary, while it can have jumpscares, it is more about the looming idea that he is ALWAYS watching, he could be anywhere and there is NOTHING you can do about it. Now that's scary.

Plus there are so many games listed at a very good cheap price and most people can afford it 🙂 I mean I got most of the games series myself and yet I don't play it. 

21 hours ago, staticradio725 said:

I really couldn't tell you anymore. I was actually into it when the franchise was in its infancy. It's known for the jumpscares, yes, but there's also a lot of complex storytelling going on. Kind of like the Lost craze. You hint at stuff, and then let the fanbase go wild with speculation. Not to mention the creepy atmosphere/style. That haunted carnival look really resonated with people, I guess. And I'm not going to lie, that goddamn purple rabbit scared the crap out of me when the first game came out back in 2014.
But these days, I think this franchise is as much of a zombie as its animatronics. This thing should have died years ago, imo. Now it's just overrun with kids who want to seem edgy. A shame, really.

Wait does it actually have some lore? I didn't know there was lore!

5 hours ago, staticradio725 said:

There's so much lore I don't even know if you're being sarcastic or not omg. This franchise has more backstory than the Bible!

No I am for real I thought it was just a jump scare randomly made.....I really didn't want to be sarcastic. I am now shook.

That's actually one of the reasons I stopped following the franchise was because the story got too complicated for a casual fan to keep up with. So many games, so many characters, and so much of the story was hinted at rather than spelled out. I actually think they're in the middle of a reboot right now, but I could be wrong.