Register Now
StaceyPowers

How do you keep frustration at bay?

If it's a game that I am extremely familiar with, it's usually not an issue. If it's something that I am new to(Skyrim), or something I'm midway between a veteran and newbie(RDR2) then I tend to take it in stride as I'm still learning. Sometimes it helps to watch someone play the game a few times to help you familiarize yourself with it. Also sometimes it takes a while to learn the controls. RDR2 is a bitch to learn the controls, but once you do they become second nature.

If I can't complete a mission or level, or get past a boss, and it's just something I can't get through, I will quit. I won't keep up with it, as it just becomes too frustrating. I also like to hit myself when I can't beat a level, so I would rather it not come to that. If you're wondering, I like to punch my leg, or if it's real bad, I slap myself in the face lol. No joke, so I cna't play anything too hard. 

If I get burned out then quitting the gaming is one way for that week. If there is some life frustration then moving onto something relaxing works. music also works. I also try to play simple games like fishing life etc. That way there is less to think and more to focus in our everyday life as well. 

I particularly like the idea of treating the frustration and anger as a work colleague, allowing it to play out but taking it with a pinch of salt. As i will get to the isolating phase and then not know what yo do with this ball of emotion. In gaming, just think to yourself that it's not worth the energy and end of the day it's just a game and just chill out and do something else. Yet after so and so break you get back to it and you get to pass and complete and be happy, taken that break away helps.

On 1/14/2021 at 11:31 PM, Shole said:

I drink a lot of water and remind myself hey it's fun and games. Then I set the game on easy and send everything to oblivion. If it's not possible I just try to chill myself XD

lol. I can't set games to easy because I get bored easily. I much prefer my games to be frustratingly difficult.

On 1/15/2021 at 8:00 AM, Empire said:

I particularly like the idea of treating the frustration and anger as a work colleague, allowing it to play out but taking it with a pinch of salt. As i will get to the isolating phase and then not know what yo do with this ball of emotion. In gaming, just think to yourself that it's not worth the energy and end of the day it's just a game and just chill out and do something else. Yet after so and so break you get back to it and you get to pass and complete and be happy, taken that break away helps.

Same here. I don't really get worked up over games to be honest.

On 1/17/2021 at 8:54 AM, killamch89 said:

I don't really get worked up over games to be honest.

I kind of agree. getting worked up is only good if it can be channelized in a manner that would help you. But most of the time that does not help you much in the long run. 

I set the game on the easiest difficulty level. And then if I still somehow encounter a boss I can't beat (it happens), I ragequit and look up the ending to the game on YouTube (because it almost always happens towards the end of a game). Looking at you, haunted bulldozer in Alan Wake!

On 1/14/2021 at 3:02 PM, StaceyPowers said:

(i.e. “this is a Bethesda game; it will inevitably glitch”)

My Fallout 4 player character who currently has a rainbow of pixels instead of a face would agree with you. If he could talk.

On 1/18/2021 at 3:42 PM, staticradio725 said:

I set the game on the easiest difficulty level. And then if I still somehow encounter a boss I can't beat (it happens), I ragequit and look up the ending to the game on YouTube (because it almost always happens towards the end of a game). Looking at you, haunted bulldozer in Alan Wake!

My Fallout 4 player character who currently has a rainbow of pixels instead of a face would agree with you. If he could talk.

Bethesda's modding community needs to be given a portion of any future earnings from games because they are one of the main reasons why so many of their bug-filled games are such a hit.

On 1/14/2021 at 9:02 PM, StaceyPowers said:

What do you think/do to keep frustration and rage-quitting at bay? Usually just going in with low expectations (i.e. “this is a Bethesda game; it will inevitably glitch”) works for me.

Seriously, with my hard times with some games like Dark Souls, I learnt that there is no shame in taking a break when everything you do isn't working for you.