Register Now
StaceyPowers

Not using items ever to conserve resources

Depends on the game, if it's resources I can easily find, I don't worry about using them up. But if it's something that's important and I need to save as long as possible, I'll try to save it as long as I can before I have to use it. 

12 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

When I play games with any resource scarcity, my best items often go unused forever because I am saving them for later. Anyone else do this?

Yes, all the time. You carry and seve the "bestest" weapons for whatever and you end up finishing the game with a pea shooter. I think this just goes back to bad game design. Like the typhoon in deusex human revolution. You find maybe 3 shoots for it through the entire game.

I admit to being a hoarder of resources and I'm not sure when I developed this habit in video games. If I'm going to use a weapon, I'll actually ration out how much ammo per weapon I'm allowing myself to use because I'm always thinking about a situation where I might be attacked and I have no ammo to defend myself or healing packs to regenerate health.

What games we talking about here! Each game is different in many ways. Depends what you find also, like small to large bag that you find and when I have a 64kg bag means I can curry more also means I'm walking far to slow and can easy loss it all when dead. 

I keep the important items that gives me food and water and money to weapons. If I need space for other things I then I remove. 

On 1/14/2021 at 11:06 PM, Shole said:

I carry too much so I walk slow, instead of using things I save them for "When I need them!" but that situation never comes...

You've suddenly triggered in me a very vivid memory of crawling on my hands and knees across the Mojave Wasteland in Fallout New Vegas trying to get to a vendor because I can't afford to just drop loot on the ground, but raiders are shooting at me from all directions and a popup keeps flashing in my face telling me, "You are overencumbered and can't run!"

I'm a big hoarder of health items, because in every game I will inevitably get to a boss fight that I just can't beat for the life of me, and I will need every health item I can get. And even then it might not be enough. Every time I play Dragon Age Origins, I always save the Broodmother boss fight for last so I have practically the whole game to stock up on health potions. Luckily they don't take up inventory space and you can theoretically get your hands on an infinite amount of them.

On 1/19/2021 at 4:54 PM, staticradio725 said:

You've suddenly triggered in me a very vivid memory of crawling on my hands and knees across the Mojave Wasteland in Fallout New Vegas trying to get to a vendor because I can't afford to just drop loot on the ground, but raiders are shooting at me from all directions and a popup keeps flashing in my face telling me, "You are overencumbered and can't run!"

I'm a big hoarder of health items, because in every game I will inevitably get to a boss fight that I just can't beat for the life of me, and I will need every health item I can get. And even then it might not be enough. Every time I play Dragon Age Origins, I always save the Broodmother boss fight for last so I have practically the whole game to stock up on health potions. Luckily they don't take up inventory space and you can theoretically get your hands on an infinite amount of them.

I'm a big hoarder as well but I tend to find places to stash some of my loot so that I can strategically move them around in-game so that I don't suffer the carry weight issue.

10 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I'm a big hoarder as well but I tend to find places to stash some of my loot so that I can strategically move them around in-game so that I don't suffer the carry weight issue.

I used to do that, and then I kept forgetting where I put stuff. Especially in big open-world games that have infinite numbers of containers to put things in.

It did make for a nice surprise when I inevitably stumbled across it later by accident, though!

11 minutes ago, staticradio725 said:

I used to do that, and then I kept forgetting where I put stuff. Especially in big open-world games that have infinite numbers of containers to put things in.

It did make for a nice surprise when I inevitably stumbled across it later by accident, though!

I actually had a spreadsheet for this (time consuming I know but it really helps) so I could plan when and how I'd move my stock. The only thing I like about Fallout 4 is that you can build a settlement and several storage containers so I just stored my loot there.

23 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I actually had a spreadsheet for this (time consuming I know but it really helps) so I could plan when and how I'd move my stock. The only thing I like about Fallout 4 is that you can build a settlement and several storage containers so I just stored my loot there.

I was thinking specifically of Fallout 4, actually. I could never even remember which settlements my companions were at, much less where my gear was located.

And I used to keep an Excel spreadsheet for Dragon Age: Inquisition of all my squadmates' gear stats, because for some reason the game couldn't be bothered to provide that information to me on the crafting screen. So you're definitely not the only one!

I'm getting better for this thanks to games such as Dark Souls, wherein it does a brilliant job of encouraging using all those items, to say it's the sort of game where you'd think you'd hoard it for that just-in-case moment. Turns out there's a few of those moments besides the bosses.

Especially where crafting is concerned, I try to make as much as I can and hoard such items away for future purposes.

At the end of the day, it's better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them!

On 1/22/2021 at 12:44 PM, staticradio725 said:

I was thinking specifically of Fallout 4, actually. I could never even remember which settlements my companions were at, much less where my gear was located.

And I used to keep an Excel spreadsheet for Dragon Age: Inquisition of all my squadmates' gear stats, because for some reason the game couldn't be bothered to provide that information to me on the crafting screen. So you're definitely not the only one!

I normally play Fallout 4 modded so most of the info regarding my Companion's whereabouts were available in a click. I have this one playthrough where I'm role-playing as a defector of the institute so I tend to take all the tech from Institute and BOS members.