Register Now
Kane99

Ever think Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony will work together?

We're all used to the console wars each generation, but in recent years, we've seen a lot of respect come from each side. It's as if these companies are starting to get used to each other, and are respectful of each other. Back in the 90s and 2000s, it was always about which one was best, and all sides would throw shade. These days, it's not much like that anymore. 

With that being said though, do you ever think that these three powerhouses will ever work together. Nintendo has already worked with Microsoft, so it's not far from reality.

What do you guys think?

If it wasn't for Nintendo, the PlayStation wouldn't exist. And it's not's like Sony wanted to "get in" on Video Games to compete with Nintendo so have Nintendo to thank for trying, I mean that even more literary than that. The Nintendo PlayStation was develped as a CD based add on for the SNES, but the project fell through at the hardware test phase.

The was also how the CDi was born, except Nintendo was working with Philips on that one, but was far less successful despite the advantage of having permission to use some of Nintendo's franchises. That's why the world was cursed with Hotel Mario and the now infamous Zelda CDi games, but getting back to the point. 

If you look hard enough, you'll find connections between these companies everywhere, especially with hardware, there is little point in reading anything into it. Still, I have to ask @Kane99, when did Microsoft work with Nintendo is the way you describe? I just don't recall that happening. 

Edited by Shagger

I don't think so, I mean when it comes to making money they will and try and earn money no better how well they will support or not. The again cross platform I'm seeing more then ever and they have to work together with that 🙂 

I highly doubt it. They're in it to make money, and partnering up with their competitors could be pulling up a rig with a trailer full of $100 bills, or it could be chapter 11. You don't know if your competitor would be trying to gain inside information about your company (legalities aside) to destroy you, or if they were sincere about a mutually beneficial collaboration. So many developers in so many business worlds are beyond vindictive and will do anything to destroy the competition. Be it video gaming, automotive, food/beverage, toys, or even ink pens. It would take an iron clad 7000 page contract that covers everything from friendly discussion, to invoking the power of Satan to make sure that no one can maliciously fuck over the other one. But even then, there are always loopholes, and some world power lawyer will find them. For a price. So I think the smartest thing for them to do is stay away from collaborations and concentrate on their own devices.

Game developers that release a game for all 3 systems (Skyrim for example) are another discussion for another time, as that is an entirely different case.

18 hours ago, Shagger said:

If it wasn't for Nintendo, the PlayStation wouldn't exist. And it's not's like Sony wanted to "get in" on Video Games to compete with Nintendo so have Nintendo to thank for trying, I mean that even more literary than that. The Nintendo PlayStation was develped as a CD based add on for the SNES, but the project fell through at the hardware test phase.

The was also how the CDi was born, except Nintendo was working with Philips on that one, but was far less successful despite the advantage of having permission to use some of Nintendo's franchises. That's why the world was cursed with Hotel Mario and the now infamous Zelda CDi games, but getting back to the point. 

If you look hard enough, you'll find connections between these companies everywhere, especially with hardware, there is little point in reading anything into it. Still, I have to ask @Kane99, when did Microsoft work with Nintendo is the way you describe? I just don't recall that happening. 

I believe it was something to do with Cross play, they started working together. As well, they've crossed over a bit with minecraft. As I think Steve is now in the current Smash Bros, plus Minecraft being on Nintendo products. I'd qualify that as working together in some regards.

There has also been rumors of XBL Gamepass being an option on the switch, or it was something in talks, but I don't know if that will ever happen. 

I was also thinking, if MS and Nintendo work more together, I wonder if MS gamers would get some Nintendo games. I would be cool with retro games at the least, because that would be cool. And Nintendo can keep their new games coming for their consoles, while retro releases can be released on other platforms. I think it'd be a cool idea and could make Nintendo a ton of cash. It's really a win-win for Nintendo, as it puts their retro games on more platforms to increase profits. 

53 minutes ago, skyfire said:

I think if they all team up this would end up being monopoly and it would surely lack the creativity in near future. I'd say they being independent adds more creativity and also more variety to output. 

I don't mean like buying each other up, I'm referring to sharing content and ideas among each company. Maybe sharing some games from each side.

Honestly, it will never happen. You guys remembered a few years back when they wanted to make more games multi-platformed and they had a hard time agreeing to anything. Nintendo and Microsoft found somewhat of a middle road but Sony wouldn't even budge and it's all due to greed. This is why I never really am a fanboy of any company at all.

2 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I believe it was something to do with Cross play, they started working together. As well, they've crossed over a bit with minecraft. As I think Steve is now in the current Smash Bros, plus Minecraft being on Nintendo products. I'd qualify that as working together in some regards.

There has also been rumors of XBL Gamepass being an option on the switch, or it was something in talks, but I don't know if that will ever happen. 

I was also thinking, if MS and Nintendo work more together, I wonder if MS gamers would get some Nintendo games. I would be cool with retro games at the least, because that would be cool. And Nintendo can keep their new games coming for their consoles, while retro releases can be released on other platforms. I think it'd be a cool idea and could make Nintendo a ton of cash. It's really a win-win for Nintendo, as it puts their retro games on more platforms to increase profits. 

I hate to break it to you, but that's a mixture of promotions and allowances that are very indigenous to specific games and some wishful thinking on your part. There is nothing there to suggest a meaningful collaboration between the two brands. What you're describing is more about a third party that working with both console brands more than anything else. 

Edited by Shagger

5 hours ago, Shagger said:

I hate to break it to you, but that's a mixture of promotions and allowances that are very indigenous to specific games and some wishful thinking on your part. There is nothing there to suggest a meaningful collaboration between the two brands. What you're describing is more about a third party that working with both console brands more than anything else. 

Greed and competition will prevent them from ever truly collaborating on anything. The only way it could happen is if they all stand to benefit from it - not the consumers. We're just a meal ticket to them quite frankly. 

14 hours ago, Patrik said:

There's that possibility, competition doesn't mean there will be no partnership, Just like AMD accepted to help both Intel and Nvidia to understand how Smart Access Memory works

That's a completely different scenario and the way how things work in the PC community is a tad different. The console gaming industry has always been pretty cutthroat so working together is the last things on their mind. The only circumstance where they might all collaborate if there's an issue which deeply affects all 3. Otherwise, they won't budge.

8 hours ago, Syntax said:

So far we have cross compatibility with them, but as far as them coming together to make a console I highly doubt that 

We weren't necessarily talking about making a console. We were going along the lines of cross-platform compatibility and only a few games allow that the most known one is Rocket League. They couldn't even agree on this very same issues a few years back so I doubt it'll happen. At least, not any time soon.