Register Now
Kane99

Nintendo should release their retro games on multiple platforms

So this is kind of a spin-off of this topic here - Ever think Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony will work together?

I wanted to extend the discussion about this idea, of having Nintendo release their retro games on all marketplaces, including PlayStation, Xbox, PC, Android, iOS. I could see this working big time for Nintendo, as it doesn't hurt their brand to release their retro games on other platforms, and this will only increase sales for Nintendo. On top of that, it'd be easy to implement on pretty much anything. 

I don't think Nintendo would ever do this, but they have been open to releasing games on android and iOS already, so why not open it up to every platform imaginable? This is only for their retro catalog though. I'm not saying Nintendo should release their new games on all platforms, no, they should keep that to the switch of 3DS. But, re-releasing the classics on every platform won't hurt anything, and will only bring more attention to their classics. 

What do you guys think? To me, it sounds like it could be a real possibility. 

I don't think that's a good idea. It would ruin the spirit of the game. There would be no value in playing SMB3 on Xbox because all you're using is an emulator. You're not actually playing the game. It ruins it for those of us who are classic gamers. We are keeping the old systems alive, and emulators are driving people away from an authentic experience. No one would win in this situation, regardless of what direction they're coming from.

5 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I don't think that's a good idea. It would ruin the spirit of the game. There would be no value in playing SMB3 on Xbox because all you're using is an emulator. You're not actually playing the game. It ruins it for those of us who are classic gamers. We are keeping the old systems alive, and emulators are driving people away from an authentic experience. No one would win in this situation, regardless of what direction they're coming from.

I don't think that ruins the spirit though, as it's still technically the same experience, it just differs for others. Anyone could get value out of playing SMB3 on their PC through an emulator, just as a kid back in the 80s first did when they played it on their Nintendos. The experience is playing the game. It doesn't necessarily matter what platform it's played on, as long as it plays. The controllers and platforms may differ, but the core gameplay and everything else stays about the same. You are playing the game as it was coded. 

And I hate to say it, but retro consoles are being forgotten. Kids these days don't know about them, and even so, the consoles are eventually going to stop working. So not selling the games on other platforms, kinds of does it a disservice, as we want to keep these games around for as long as possible. As well, not all retro consoles are easy to come by. And why should people have to buy a retro console, when they already have a switch or PC or other platform on hand? I understand nostalgia is a big thing, and I even prefer playing on the actual console, but not everyone wants to pick up an retro console when they can get the game pretty much everywhere else and a lot easier. And I don't think that makes it less of an experience, or is less value than if you and I play it on the original consoles. 

And I don't see how it ruins it for classic gamers. If anything, it's probably better, as it means more retro games available on the market for you to grab before the next game collection craze happens. 

The winners are Nintendo making extra money on their old games, the games being preserved for more generations, and the people who never got to play them in the first place and don't want to go buying old consoles they have no interest in owning. Do you really want the casual gamers to get their hands on retro consoles? Probably not, because they're going to toss them in the closet to collect dust when their nostalgia fix is satiated. 

Actually, retro consoles are extremely easy to come by. All you have to do is hit either Craigslist, eBay, or a pawn shop.

It ruins it for us because we're being pushed out of the market. We want to keep retro gaming alive, but if someone just wants to emulate it then what use is there for us? It's the same as classic cars. People love them. It's obsolete machinery, but there's still people who stick to them. Yet they're out of the market because people have emulated it. The 2005 Mustang looks disturbingly similar to 1968 Mustang, yet it's not one. Visual similarities aren't the real thing.

Cheese made with vegetable oil looks the same as cheese made with milk. Looks the same. Isn't the same.

Would you prefer a knockoff Xbox made by some company you've never heard of, or do you want your Xbox to come from Microsoft? Microsoft costs more, and this knockoff is GUARANTEED to work. It says so right on the box, so it must be true.

I'm not interested in a Chivee Comoro just because it's $10,000 cheaper than a Chevy Camaro.

Edited by The Blackangel

31 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

Actually, retro consoles are extremely easy to come by. All you have to do is hit either Craigslist, eBay, or a pawn shop.

Not necessarily true. And even so, that's not really the point. People shouldn't have to buy a retro console in order to play these games. On top of that, they need to get the games, the connections, and so on, and who knows if what you're buying even works. As well, the argument is kind of moot considering Nintendo has re-released their games over and over. And yet the retro market hasn't changed much from what I see. Why should I have to buy an old console when I could buy the game on something I own and have on hand? 

41 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

It ruins it for us because we're being pushed out of the market. We want to keep retro gaming alive, but if someone just wants to emulate it then what use is there for us?

How are you being pushed out of the market? Do you sell retro games/consoles? Even so, you're not going to get a lot of people buying retro consoles and games anyway. The people seriously going after retro consoles/games are the collectors, and people going for nostalgia. Your market is relatively small, and isn't getting bigger, because retro games have no sustainability because there isn't a finite amount. 

49 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

It's the same as classic cars. People love them. It's obsolete machinery, but there's still people who stick to them. Yet they're out of the market because people have emulated it. The 2005 Mustang looks disturbingly similar to 1968 Mustang, yet it's not one. Visual similarities aren't the real thing.

Cheese made with vegetable oil looks the same as cheese made with milk. Looks the same. Isn't the same.

It doesn't really compare at all though, because technically you're getting the same exact game just on a different platform. Same code, same graphics, etc. You're just loading that ROM on another platform. When you compare it to cars, you're referring to a remake, or a reboot. It's not the same thing at all. There will always be a market for those classic cars, just as there is always a market for retro games. 

If I put a hot dog in a wheat bun, but decide to put it in a different bun instead, isn't it the same hot dog? 

Would you prefer a knockoff Xbox made by some company you've never heard of, or do you want your Xbox to come from Microsoft? Microsoft costs more, and this knockoff is GUARANTEED to work. It says so right on the box, so it must be true.

I'm not interested in a Chivee Comoro just because it's $10,000 cheaper than a Chevy Camaro.

Of course not. But that's not the point at all. We're not talking about knock-off devices. We're speaking of ROMs, that can easily work on pretty much every device. Hell, I could make a mod for a genesis cart and put the ROM of SMB3 on it if I had the technically know-how. It may play differently based on the different hardware, but it's still the same game. 

You act as if people are flush with cash and can buy all of these retro consoles and games too. I can't afford to buy much of anything these days. I wish I could, but playing retro games on other platforms gives me that chance. And what about the rare games, or the overly priced ones? Why should I have to pay hundreds of dollars to play some retro game, when it's on Nintendo's marketplace for $5? I think people should have the option to buy the games elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, Kane99 said:

Not necessarily true. And even so, that's not really the point. People shouldn't have to buy a retro console in order to play these games. On top of that, they need to get the games, the connections, and so on, and who knows if what you're buying even works. As well, the argument is kind of moot considering Nintendo has re-released their games over and over. And yet the retro market hasn't changed much from what I see. Why should I have to buy an old console when I could buy the game on something I own and have on hand? 

By that logic, then there is no point or reason for anyone to buy a PS5 or Xbox Series X. They should make all PS5 games compatible with the PS3 and PS4. Same with the Xbox.

1 hour ago, Kane99 said:

How are you being pushed out of the market? Do you sell retro games/consoles? Even so, you're not going to get a lot of people buying retro consoles and games anyway. The people seriously going after retro consoles/games are the collectors, and people going for nostalgia. Your market is relatively small, and isn't getting bigger, because retro games have no sustainability because there isn't a finite amount. 

That statement proves that you don’t know anything about the retro market. Yes it’s predominantly collectors and those playing for nostalgia. But there are many more in the market than that. Also, yes I do service and resell retro games and systems. The market is growing at a steady rate, and the sustainability is higher than new systems because these systems were built to be able to withstand a punch. You do that with a modern system and you have to get a new one. You hard drive is fucked, all your DDL’s are gone, your save data is gone. And god forbid you get a microscopic scratch on a fucking disc.

1 hour ago, Kane99 said:

It doesn't really compare at all though, because technically you're getting the same exact game just on a different platform. Same code, same graphics, etc. You're just loading that ROM on another platform. When you compare it to cars, you're referring to a remake, or a reboot. It's not the same thing at all. There will always be a market for those classic cars, just as there is always a market for retro games. 

Now you’re putting words in my mouth to make your argument. I said nothing about remakes or reboots.

1 hour ago, Kane99 said:

If I put a hot dog in a wheat bun, but decide to put it in a different bun instead, isn't it the same hot dog? 

Depends. What was your reasoning? Was it just because the new bun was prettier? Or supposedly “improved”?

1 hour ago, Kane99 said:

Of course not. But that's not the point at all. We're not talking about knock-off devices. We're speaking of ROMs, that can easily work on pretty much every device. Hell, I could make a mod for a genesis cart and put the ROM of SMB3 on it if I had the technically know-how. It may play differently based on the different hardware, but it's still the same game.

How do you figure? It’s a hack. The game wasn’t released on Sega. Which nullifies it as authentic. It’s a gamer scripted copy. Nothing more. It’s the same as the hackers that added 200 games to an NES flashback for $75.

1 hour ago, Kane99 said:

You act as if people are flush with cash and can buy all of these retro consoles and games too. I can't afford to buy much of anything these days. I wish I could, but playing retro games on other platforms gives me that chance. And what about the rare games, or the overly priced ones? Why should I have to pay hundreds of dollars to play some retro game, when it's on Nintendo's marketplace for $5? I think people should have the option to buy the games elsewhere. 

First off, in no way did I insinuate that people have disposable income. That’s you that’s bringing that up. You can easily buy a NES with 20 games for $150. I know this for a fact because I have done it several times. Who said anything about Little Samson? I never brought anything like that up. I don’t have it because I can’t afford it. I live on disability which is $650 a month. I would have to save every penny and pay no bills for a full year to buy some of these ultra rare games that you have such a hard on for.

What would you prefer to own: a perfect condition revolutionary musket, or a copy built last year that works (loads and fires) the same way?

I collect skulls. Should I quit collecting real bone skulls, and go for fakes that are made of resin? They look the same, but they’re not.

They've made the Classic NES Edition a few years back in 2016 that has a number of games. Same look and everything but smaller. I got one when they first came out. I think that is what they will do with other older consoles; just make a modern model of it with a list of games, instead of making a disc for it to play on the ps5 and Xbox ABC. It had limited availability so I guess it is a collectible instead. I've played mine though, but I also still have the old original console with some games too. Now there is the Mini NES Anniversary Edition with 620 games built in, but I don't know who made that one. I'm not sure what effect that is having on the classic market. I don't even think many people know about it. So I don't think they would put it on multiple platforms when it's already here as the Classic NES Edition and the Mini Anniversary Edition. So that's probably what they will do for Sega and other classic Nintendo consoles. If they were to remake those games altogether, then they would be on the new systems. Also, I have a Sega Collection game disc for the ps2 with a number of games on it. All they have to do is remaster that game and viola, classic Sega on the ps5. 

Yes, but Sega went under long ago as a gaming console. A last ditch effort with the Dreamcast didn't do them any favors, as it didn't last long. Now they are strictly a game developer. I have the same disc but on my PS3 instead. It shouldn't have been made for the games that were on the Sega Genesis in my opinion. If a company goes under as a console, but remains as a game developer that can skew things a bit. But I still think they should leave their old games to their old consoles. I hate the rebooted Links Awakening on Switch. I only play it when nothing else appeals to me. Granted it's "prettier" but it's not the same game. I heavily prefer it on GameBoy over Switch.

17 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

By that logic, then there is no point or reason for anyone to buy a PS5 or Xbox Series X. They should make all PS5 games compatible with the PS3 and PS4. Same with the Xbox.

You're missing the point. That's much different than re-releasing old retro games on current and new platforms. Hell, you're going to get a ton of remasters and reboots for the current gen consoles anyway. 

That statement proves that you don’t know anything about the retro market. Yes it’s predominantly collectors and those playing for nostalgia. But there are many more in the market than that. Also, yes I do service and resell retro games and systems. The market is growing at a steady rate, and the sustainability is higher than new systems because these systems were built to be able to withstand a punch. You do that with a modern system and you have to get a new one. You hard drive is fucked, all your DDL’s are gone, your save data is gone. And god forbid you get a microscopic scratch on a fucking disc.

Agree to disagree. But that's besides the point, because you're not getting what I'm saying at all. You implied re-releasing these games on current and future gen consoles is going to hurt your market, yet you state it's growing at a steady rate, what is it? Do you even know what you're talking about?

Now you’re putting words in my mouth to make your argument. I said nothing about remakes or reboots.

I didn't put words in your mouth. I was implying the metaphor you chose about the cars doesn't work here. Because it makes it sound like you're referencing a reboot or remake instead. That's why I responded to that portion. It wouldn't count as a re-release, as it's not the same thing at all. If anything, the car metaphor is more in line with something that was inspired by something from the past. 

Depends. What was your reasoning? Was it just because the new bun was prettier? Or supposedly “improved”?

I was comparing your cheese bit. In this case, the bun is the console, the hot dog is the ROM (game).

How do you figure? It’s a hack. The game wasn’t released on Sega. Which nullifies it as authentic. It’s a gamer scripted copy. Nothing more. It’s the same as the hackers that added 200 games to an NES flashback for $75.

Still not getting the point. I never said it was "authentic" I'm implying that it's the same game on that cart, sure there may be some modding/hacking involved. But usually it's the same ROM you'd see on your NES cart or on the Switch marketplace. The only difference is the hardware it's played on, and the cart. And yeah, you could argue the NES Classic is the same in that regard, because technically, they're probably using the same ROMs that your NES carts had on them. 

The ROM is the game. The skin it's in, doesn't change that. Sure you can't sell bootleg or hacked games, but that's not the point I was trying to make. I was just referring to the ROM itself. 

First off, in no way did I insinuate that people have disposable income. That’s you that’s bringing that up. You can easily buy a NES with 20 games for $150. I know this for a fact because I have done it several times. Who said anything about Little Samson? I never brought anything like that up. I don’t have it because I can’t afford it. I live on disability which is $650 a month. I would have to save every penny and pay no bills for a full year to buy some of these ultra rare games that you have such a hard on for.

What would you prefer to own: a perfect condition revolutionary musket, or a copy built last year that works (loads and fires) the same way?

I collect skulls. Should I quit collecting real bone skulls, and go for fakes that are made of resin? They look the same, but they’re not.

You insinuate that when you tell no to retro games being re-released and saying just go buy the retro consoles and games. That's easier said than Done. Sure you can toss up $150 for a console and games, but I just can't do that, and not everyone else can either. Why should I or anyone else, have to buy a NES for $150, when you could easily get the games digitally far cheaper on other platforms? 

And why exactly is it a bad thing to have these games re-released on other platforms? The way you talk, makes it sound like it's retro or nothing. I brought up rare & expensive games, because they're hard to come by and extremely overpriced. So that's where digital re-releases come in handy. I brought it up as a counterpoint to your "buy retro instead" point. 

Of course I'd prefer to own a revolutionary musket, but I sure as hell ain't going to afford one. If I can get the same looking one, for a lot cheaper, and it does the same thing, sure maybe I'll get it. Would make a good display piece I imagine. At least until I can realistically afford the real thing. Which I why digital seems like a great option to me. 

25 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

You have missed every single point I have made, and twisted my words to fit your opinion. This argument has reached a point that is completely pointless.

Go feed your Tamagotchi. I'm sure it's hungry.

And yet you didn't get a single point I made either. If you can't understand what I'm getting at then it's probably best to just move on.