Register Now
Kane99

Switch 4K, what does it need to better the original Switch?

Rumors are still swirling about a possible 4K Nintendo Switch coming, and it's most likely going to happen. It would be an easy jump for Nintendo, especially not having to come up with yet another new console. Upgrading the hardware is an ideal step into the future. With that being said though, there needs to be some changes. 

I personally think the joy cons need work. There needs to be something done to make sure drift doesn't occur in the new model. As well, maybe a secondary controller if drift can't be sorted. 

Also, bigger buttons. Am I the only one that feels the buttons for the joy cons are a tad too small? Also a better DPad. I prefer the button style of the NES. The joycon buttons just feel a tad bit too small, and to me, it makes it feel cheep for some reason. I get a cheap controller vibe with how small the buttons are. 

I also think it'd be a good idea to get N64 and Gamecube games added up in the marketplace like how they have NES and SNES. Maybe even the Wii and Wii U. I'm sure it'd be possible, and could rack in a ton of extra cash for Nintendo. 

What are some other things Nintendo should do to make the 4K Switch, the best Switch?

A Switch that runs at 4K, at least in handheld mode, is utterly pointless. The current Switch runs at 720p in handheld mode and trust me when I say that's plenty for a screen that size. When docked it dose make more sence to run in 4K, but I would still rather any extra horsepower a new version of the Switch gets would be utilized to make it more compatible with newer, 3rd party titles rather that satisfy the vanity of sadly loud group of idiots.

So, would would I suggest for a new Switch? More reliable Joycons, 4K media playback while docked, 1080p (max) gameplay in handheld mode and improved performance while docked at 1080p.

11 hours ago, Shagger said:

A Switch that runs at 4K, at least in handheld mode, is utterly pointless.

exactly, you can't put some very decent hardware in such as small space, people will probably suffer a lot from bad graphics and that 4k will be probably upscaled and not native (which is still also hard to run lol)

I'm very skeptical that Nintendo will reach for 4K. I would understand them enhancing the display on the Switch unit itself, and adding new, innovative ways to play, but they have never pursued pure hardware power. Not that I don't wish for it, but I'm going to be cautious about getting my hopes high.

Given that their games as much less demanding to start with, running original switch games at much higher resolutions isn't farfetched. I still think it's a bit of a fad for Nintendo to chase 4k. Maybe 1440p with DLSS to 4k to compete with upcoming next gen consoles verbiage.

I kinda wish that they made the screen 1080p just to add that extra beauty with some games, but I doubt that they will do this. Also will be curious if they increase the processing power or graphics power more so it looks even better on that 720p screen.

I said the same as most of you - having 4k on this machine with hardly any upgrades to the internal or physical hardware is utterly pointless. From what I learned, it's not going to be as massive a jump as the PS5 is to PS4 so why does it need 4k?