Register Now
Kane99

New game coming out for the Game Boy

The Game Boy came out back in 1989 and it's getting a new game 31 or so years later. The game is called Shapeshifter, and it's about a boy who gets powers at night where he can change into an animal just by touching it. But once morning rolls around, you go back to normal. The game was funded through kickstarter. 

It looks pretty interesting, and they're releasing it in ROM and Physical form. You can check a demo of the game below. 

And you can find more details in this article - The Gamer and you can buy the game here - https://greenboygames.com/

15 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

Ummmm...........

Interesting?

Yeah, as interesting as a game boy game can be, considering the limitations. 

5 minutes ago, Patrik said:

Watchout for scalpers selling the gameboy for only 499$ in Ebay after knowing about this...

I don't look at ebay for pricing, as the prices are heavily inflated because people think they have something worth more than it really is. If I really want to grab a game boy, I'd look at thrift stores, game shops that specialize in the sale of retro games and consoles and so on. You're bound to get a much better deal, unless they look at ebay and price that way. First key, don't use ebay to find your price. Use something like pricecharting, as you'll at least get a better picture of what it's going for on every site. 

On 1/19/2021 at 7:11 PM, killamch89 said:

Yay? *looks around* Were these developers in some kind of cryogenic chamber for the last 31 years because they do know there's a device called the Nintendo Switch right?

This isn't anything new really. There are many developers and small studios out there releasing their own games on retro consoles. It's really popular. I just don't see it as often for the Game Boy though. 

16 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

This isn't anything new really. There are many developers and small studios out there releasing their own games on retro consoles. It's really popular. I just don't see it as often for the Game Boy though. 

That's kind of what I'm saying though - the Nintendo Game Boy? The original one at that...

I struggle to understand why this is going on Game Boy and not just being styled as such for modern systems. As a feat of engineering it's impressive. As a product, Adventure Islands games kinda does this without the faffing of needing an emulator or an original Game Boy.

Still, that music is so catchy I'd get the game just to hear that soundtrack. If they sell the soundtrack, I'd buy it twice.

On 1/22/2021 at 2:26 PM, Withywarlock said:

I struggle to understand why this is going on Game Boy and not just being styled as such for modern systems. As a feat of engineering it's impressive. As a product, Adventure Islands games kinda does this without the faffing of needing an emulator or an original Game Boy.

Still, that music is so catchy I'd get the game just to hear that soundtrack. If they sell the soundtrack, I'd buy it twice.

I kind of get the whole nostalgia effect but to only release it for the original Game Boy is where I'm also having an issue.

On 1/21/2021 at 11:31 PM, killamch89 said:

I'm not knocking anyone for liking it but it's like 30 years late. At least they could've made a port for the Nintendo Switch ffs...

On 1/21/2021 at 11:31 PM, killamch89 said:

I'm not knocking anyone for liking it but it's like 30 years late. At least they could've made a port for the Nintendo Switch ffs...

It's also available in ROM form, and likely digital. A lot of these developers still sell the games digitally, or in ROM form so you can play it on an emulator for example. It's also not a licensed game, so it can't be released on the Switch. I mean, they could get it licensed I imagine, if they wanted to. 

On 1/22/2021 at 2:26 PM, Withywarlock said:

Nostalgia. Some people like the idea of working on old hardware and making games under said limitations. There is also a market of gamers who like to buy rom hacks/mods, and even custom made games on older hardware. It keeps that nostalgia alive, along with those old consoles.