Register Now
Kane99

Games that are hard on purpose

What are some games you've played, that you feel were made to be hard or tough to beat? I think a game that comes to mind is Dark Souls, but that's the nature of the game. It's tough, so you learn and become better. But what about games that are hard for the purpose of being hard? Ones that feel unbeatable. 

I think the only game that comes to mind like this, is that game "Getting Over It" I never played it, but the people who played and streamed it at the time, shows how crazy tough this game is. Sure you can probably beat it, but it looks like it's unbearable to deal with. 

What are some other games you can think of?

6 hours ago, Kane99 said:

"Getting Over It"

This game actually exists in speedrunning communities and has some world records as well, it's just a matter of practice, for me, a game is hard only when it comes to puzzles or strategies, otherwise it's a matter of few attempts till you are done with it.

Dark souls is a a pretty difficult game that has a slow ramp on character progression and a fast ramp on player progression. Meaning even learning a few rudimentary techniques like knowing the invincibility frames of dodges, knowing how to parry, and knowing how to properly equip yourself will make the game significantly more manageable.

On 1/26/2021 at 10:19 AM, killamch89 said:

Dark Souls games are extremely difficult on purpose - you can't even pause the game lol. No seriously, I once died because I had to take a leak and a boss just showed up. I tried to pause it but no dice!

I think that is the beauty of that game too. by making it hard it has created a different community of it's own too. 

On 1/27/2021 at 4:08 AM, skyfire said:

I think that is the beauty of that game too. by making it hard it has created a different community of it's own too. 

That's why it's such a divisive title in the gaming community. Those like myself who love an overly frustrating game absolutely love playing this but for people who like an easy game, it'll frustrate you to no end.

On 3/24/2021 at 3:22 AM, skyfire said:

Indeed a lot of platformers are so easy including mario which does not add much challenge but some are so hard that even small move change and you end up restarting. 

This.  Like, so many action/adventure type games from the NES and SNES/Genesis era are very challenging.  The original Super Mario Bros. is pretty difficult if you try to beat it without warping straight to world 8.  A few others that come to mind are Ninja Gaiden, Zelda 2, Ninja Turtles, most of the old Castlevanias and Mega Mans, Contra 3....

2 hours ago, Steerminator said:

This.  Like, so many action/adventure type games from the NES and SNES/Genesis era are very challenging.  The original Super Mario Bros. is pretty difficult if you try to beat it without warping straight to world 8.  A few others that come to mind are Ninja Gaiden, Zelda 2, Ninja Turtles, most of the old Castlevanias and Mega Mans, Contra 3....

That's where you're wrong my friend. Zelda II, TMNT, Castlevania, and the Mega Man games are so far beyond easy that they're almost boring. Sure they have their difficult spots, but all in all, they're very easy games. I've beaten them all so many times, that I could do it with my eyes closed.

I think there is also one thing about old gen games that they have limited narrative compared to todays time where open world has made life of those old gen limited narrative games harder. If it's not explorable a lot of people hate such games. 

I think a lot of old arcade games were made without "being beaten" in mind (Do they even make arcade games anymore?  I have no idea).  Of course this makes sense, because those old ones like Galaga and Pac Man are very simplistic, and progression was, I think, typically measured more by one's score than how "far" they got.

I remember my friend a long time ago telling me a story about how when they made the original version of Pac Man, the way it was programmed didn't allow for a person to get past the 255ish level, but they didn't give any thought to this because they figured no one would ever get that far (of course someone eventually did).

There are several games like that. It's all based on a score count and not a level progression. There's nothing wrong with that, as a lot of people love those games. I'm a huge Galaga nut. I play the game all the time. Mainly on my GBASP.

The limited narrative of classic games is part of their charm. It's less complicated which often allows you to get right in there and go for the gold, so to speak. But linear games aren't for everyone. The majority of the ones that play them is those of us who need the nostalgia of a simpler time. Whether that was a good time for the individual or not, is another story.