Register Now
killamch89

LG considers leaving the smartphone industry

Just as I was considering of jumping to LG from Samsung. I really want LG to stay around and produce some more flagship phones. In all honesty, their phones are really underrated but they don't market their products particularly well and that's why they were taking all those losses over the last 5 years barring last year where they started making a profit. What do you make of this news?

Source: https://www.engadget.com/lg-ceo-kwon-bong-seok-mobile-division-exit-losses-094712722.html

That would be sad but considering these guys just import the hardware from china, they offer nothing new to the table in terms of manufacturing. any tom di and harry can do outsourcing and white label from china. and they eventually die when chinese launch something their own. 

6 hours ago, mont86 said:

My last 3 have been LG and I have no complaints.

I do believe LG phones are massively underrated but it's LG's poor marketing which contributed to their downfall as well.

37 minutes ago, skyfire said:

That would be sad but considering these guys just import the hardware from china, they offer nothing new to the table in terms of manufacturing. any tom di and harry can do outsourcing and white label from china. and they eventually die when chinese launch something their own. 

Actually, LG develops most of their own hardware in-house or outsources their  parts from reputable companies such as Sony and Samsung. That being said, I believe that this is what also costs them a lot in terms of revenue over the years.

Not sure about if they don't outsource to china. I assume they do. the thing is there are too many brands which are basically serving through chinese outsource model and real game exists only in marketing. LG is going to lose if they don't market. crap brands like oppo, xiaomi are going ahead of LG so kind of expected. 

On 1/22/2021 at 8:50 AM, skyfire said:

Not sure about if they don't outsource to china. I assume they do. the thing is there are too many brands which are basically serving through chinese outsource model and real game exists only in marketing. LG is going to lose if they don't market. crap brands like oppo, xiaomi are going ahead of LG so kind of expected. 

Actually they don't and is one of the most known reason for their losses in recent years and they have even started to go down that route now because it is more cost-effective which they should've years ago.

Seems that they are really doing it since the CEO of the LG Smartphone division has already sent out mails to the workers that they're closing the smartphone division. At times they are crap phones anyway, well not all but they aren't always the top 10 of all hpones to get. Never did own a LG phone. Yet If they do sell off the mobile division, I hope it's to someone that'll continue to support there older device with new and fast updates, like g8x.

On 1/24/2021 at 11:13 AM, killamch89 said:

Actually they don't and is one of the most known reason for their losses in recent years and they have even started to go down that route now because it is more cost-effective which they should've years ago.

Yeah the cost cutting from the chinese gets them one way up ahead on the other competitors. It's pity we have no other option than Chinese. 

18 hours ago, skyfire said:

Yeah the cost cutting from the chinese gets them one way up ahead on the other competitors. It's pity we have no other option than Chinese. 

The Chinese phones aren't built to last either and they don't really update their platforms as well so within 2 years, we'd have to be buying new phones which isn't feasible at all.

4 hours ago, killamch89 said:

The Chinese phones aren't built to last either and they don't really update their platforms as well so within 2 years, we'd have to be buying new phones which isn't feasible at all.

Yes they make money that way by forcing people to buy the phones after 1 year or 1 and half year worth fo usage. this way they are always in demand in the market. 

On 3/6/2021 at 12:35 PM, skyfire said:

I like that design. I wonder if it ever gets out. And considering the phone market is cut throat. I'd say they made good decision. they should get into the tablets or other home devices. 

They already have TVs and other appliances so I think that'll be where they concentrate most of their energy. I'll miss them for sure but now that I think about it, I've only ever owned one phone and it was a long time ago.