Register Now
killamch89

LG considers leaving the smartphone industry

On 4/3/2021 at 9:16 AM, skyfire said:

I heard that there are no takers for their phone too. Goes to show the chinese grip in the market is so strong that it is a monopoly as well. 

The price that they wanted to sell their smartphone business for was too high for potential buyers so they had no choice but to make this decision.

On 4/6/2021 at 12:16 PM, skyfire said:

I guess some of the time if the business fails the leftovers don't have much cost I suppose. 

Their phones were really unique and we probably won't see any phones like those going forward so LG is a real loss for the market. 

On 4/9/2021 at 12:08 PM, skyfire said:

I hope their design team gets recruited elsewhere so that we can see the new stuff from them with another brand. 

I don't think they'll stay together as some will likely be moved to other LG divisions and some will join other competitors so the LG styling will inadvertently disappear. Unless, all those former employees create a new phone company but being competitive as a new phone brand in the smartphone industry is an uphill task. Many have tried and failed miserably at it.

I don't think that anyone will notice their absence anyways, LG was sort of more popular (as a phone brand) back in normal phones, but Samsung came and took over the market real quick and it unfortunately couldn't keep up with the competition, also it made lot of mistakes...

On 4/17/2021 at 9:33 PM, Patrik said:

I don't think that anyone will notice their absence anyways, LG was sort of more popular (as a phone brand) back in normal phones, but Samsung came and took over the market real quick and it unfortunately couldn't keep up with the competition, also it made lot of mistakes...

You're right - they haven't had that much of an impact since 2015 and their smartphone share was something like 1% so most of us wouldn't notice.

On 4/17/2021 at 1:15 AM, skyfire said:

Yeah in that case as they say, nature took it's course and things will work the random chaotic way for us the consumers. I wont hold that against them though. some things are meant to end whether we like it or not. 

I agree that most of things that happen in the smartphone industry is out of our control.

On 4/20/2021 at 5:21 AM, killamch89 said:

I agree that most of things that happen in the smartphone industry is out of our control.

And another thing is that with china tightening the electronics industry under their feet, I am going to be blunt and say that a lot of non-chinese brands will face extinction. 

On 4/21/2021 at 12:22 AM, skyfire said:

And another thing is that with china tightening the electronics industry under their feet, I am going to be blunt and say that a lot of non-chinese brands will face extinction. 

With the US tariffs in place and some US companies pulling manufacturing out of China and investing in other countries, this isn't going to happen anytime soon.