Register Now
Kane99

Xbox Live Gold going up in price

Well well well, looks like Xbox Live is going up in price. Not quite sure why, but I suspect it could be in relation to Game Pass. Though they don't really say that's why. Anyway, according to Xbox themselves, 1 month of XBL will be increasing by $1, 3 months by an extra $5 and 6 months would put you back $60, which is what it was for 12 months in the past. 

Anyway, what do you think of this? I have been mostly getting game pass, and since that isn't changing in price. And the good news, is that you can use all of your months and convert it to Game Pass Ultimate instead. And I think that's what their intention is, XBL gold will probably just merge with ultimate at some point. Because, I suspect that XBL gold will gradually just go away. And the pricing you see, is probably going to reflect the Ultimate pricing now. 

You can read this news here - https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/01/22/update-on-xbox-live-gold-pricing/

lol never mind. Microsoft has since changed their mind, after receiving a ton of backlash from people. The link in my post above will have the updated news. They apologized for the decision as well. 

It's good that us speaking our mind does this though. Shows that when they make dumb decisions in the future, it will be fairly easy to push back against it. 

Edited by Kane99

9 hours ago, Kane99 said:

lol never mind. Microsoft has since changed their mind, after receiving a ton of backlash from people. The link in my post above will have the updated news. They apologized for the decision as well. 

It's good that us speaking our mind does this though. Shows that when they make dumb decisions in the future, it will be fairly easy to push back against it. 

If only we could get this kind of backlash for Android phone companies especially when they start copying Apple and removing features, most mobile tech users are such sheep that they'll believe anything because they are "loyal" to a brand.

So just to be clear, inflation isn't a good enough reason to up a subscription fee if backlash is great enough? I think I may need to post this news on a few World of Warcraft forums and correct some of my former fellow MVPs....

Edited by Withywarlock

16 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

So just to be clear, inflation isn't a good enough reason to up a subscription fee if backlash is great enough? I think I may need to post this news on a few World of Warcraft forums and correct some of my former fellow MVPs....

We need that kind of backlash across a lot of platforms because they trying to hike the prices on everything. Retailers are particularly guilty of this and we need to put a stop to it.

On top of the price jump, they didn't include anything new. XBL gold to be honest, is fairly pointless at this time, especially with Game pass Ultimate, which gets you gold in the first place. 

But, I dig that they actually responded a day later and went back on their error. That's refreshing these days, especially as of late. 

7 hours ago, Kane99 said:

On top of the price jump, they didn't include anything new. XBL gold to be honest, is fairly pointless at this time, especially with Game pass Ultimate, which gets you gold in the first place. 

But, I dig that they actually responded a day later and went back on their error. That's refreshing these days, especially as of late. 

This is quite the rarity - Nintendo wouldn't give a damn quite honestly and Sony wouldn't either so I'll give them that. However, who's idea was it in the first place to hike the price by that much and I do agree that XBL is currently useless with Xbox Game Pass around.