Register Now
StaceyPowers

What’s the most controversial video game opinion you have on any topic?

There should never be a strictly religious game made for any reason. You make games for one religion, then you open the door to a lot of bullshit from others. I'm Satanic, yet I can't think of a single game with "Satan" (as fictional as it is) as the protagonist. Whether your perceived deity holds any substance in reality is irrelevant. We all know Satan is a figment of the imagination. But that doesn't negate the fact that religion and games do not mix.

Controversial opinion, idk if I really have one. Or one that I can't think of. I'm literally drawing a blank. 

17 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

There should never be a strictly religious game made for any reason. You make games for one religion, then you open the door to a lot of bullshit from others. I'm Satanic, yet I can't think of a single game with "Satan" (as fictional as it is) as the protagonist. Whether your perceived deity holds any substance in reality is irrelevant. We all know Satan is a figment of the imagination. But that doesn't negate the fact that religion and games do not mix.

It's kind of like saying there should be no religious movies. I say let the religious people out there have their movies and games. I don't think it's going to hurt anyone. 

Religion and games have been co-existing forever now though. Assassin's Creed for example is heavily inspired by religion, and has a lot of themes regarding it. I'm no fan of religion being forced onto us in games or in movies, but I just ignore that type of media. 😄 

I don't know which of my opinions is most controversial. You decide.

1. Cell shaded and cartoon like graphics should not exist, every game must strive to look as realistic as possible
  2. Do not hide gore and blood, if there is killing depicted it should be depicted with all consequences
  3. Games are not a platform, don't use it to preach to your audience

6 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Controversial opinion, idk if I really have one. Or one that I can't think of. I'm literally drawing a blank. 

It's kind of like saying there should be no religious movies. I say let the religious people out there have their movies and games. I don't think it's going to hurt anyone. 

Religion and games have been co-existing forever now though. Assassin's Creed for example is heavily inspired by religion, and has a lot of themes regarding it. I'm no fan of religion being forced onto us in games or in movies, but I just ignore that type of media. 😄 

I would say that Assassin's Creed is inspired by history more than religion. There is a lot of reference to gods and mythology in some of the games especially Odyssey, but I never got the sense that it is being forced or anything. I mean what about God of War, which is mostly about fighting Gods? And even then it is lore and mythology. I think AC1 may have the most modern religious reference with the Crusades era and taking place in the Holy land. But in history of man, you really can't separate religion as not being a part of our history. You can pick any place in the world and make an AC game, and in some places you have to include religion as part of the culture.  

16 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I don't have a problem with religion in a video game as long as it isn't pushing an agenda. Lots of games have referenced religion and it actually adds another dimension to the characters in-game in terms of motive.

That's more what I was meaning. I should have explained better. Games with religion that are pushing an agenda. Like trying to force conversions. Or some other bullshit. Sometimes I leave out crucial information to make my argument. Psychological issues, and brain damage from a number of things makes a hell of an impact. But either way, I'm still a bitch.

18 hours ago, m76 said:

1. Cell shaded and cartoon like graphics should not exist, every game must strive to look as realistic as possible
  2. Do not hide gore and blood, if there is killing depicted it should be depicted with all consequences

I have to argue against number one. Sure life like graphics are great and often make the game. Imagine RDR2 with SNES era graphics. But some games should keep the old graphics. We have games like Cuphead, Blasphemous, Shalnor Legends, Snake Pass, and many others that are super popular. What are your thoughts there, if you don't mind me asking?

With 2 and 3, I agree 100%. You hit the nail on the head and drove it in with one strike.

Edited by The Blackangel

19 hours ago, m76 said:

1 is up for debate because I do like Cell shaded graphics in some games but two and three I have to agree with. Fortnite in particular is guilty of number 3.

On 1/23/2021 at 12:58 AM, The Blackangel said:

Seriously, religion is one delicate prospect that when it's not handled with care, it can cause a very serious problem. So, as far as I'm concerned, video games genre should be eliminated from using it because it definitely not end well.