Register Now
Kane99

Car Dashboard Video Games, is it too dangerous?

There's an article from Spectrum IEEE that talks about new cars that are capable of allowing the passengers to play video games on the dashboard screen. It seems Tesla wants to offer such things. Of course there are safety measures in place, where you're not able to game while driving. But they also mention that Tesla wants to work out  a way where the steering wheel of the car, would work in the game. 

Do you like the idea of being able to play games in a car? I think it's cool and all, but they do mention that the wheels move if you use the steering wheel in a game. So there's potential that when you do go to drive, you may forget the position the tires were in and could crash into a car or pedestrian. So there is risk with it. And with how stupid people can be with cars, there will be a lot of accidents because of this. 

What are your thoughts? 

If the passengers are the ones who're playing, then it shouldn't be a big deal, but there some few things that might make it dangerous, sometimes the driver might want to do a sneak peek or sometimes passengers pay attention to something in the road that the driver might not pay attention to 

I can't think of any possible reason why this needs to be a thing. Isn't that why portable consoles exist, like the Switch? So you can take your games with you wherever you want? I'm just thinking about when GPS's first became popular, and how people were literally driving their cars into the lake because they were too busy looking at the screen and not the road. I mean, I know you apparently can't play while the car is in motion, but still. If there's a way around that, people will absolutely find it.

28 minutes ago, staticradio725 said:

I can't think of any possible reason why this needs to be a thing. Isn't that why portable consoles exist, like the Switch?

Exactly right. That was the entire reason for making portable consoles. So people could game on the go. But they were never intended to be a distraction from real life. And we all know that system in the dashboard would be a hell of a distraction for the driver. Their passenger playing GTA or CoD would be a shitload more interesting than the curves on the interstate. Keep portable portable, but keep your damn head straight and leave games out of it. We have DVD players. that's enough entertainment. The screen doesn't work on my DVD player in my van, but I can still listen to the audio.

7 hours ago, staticradio725 said:

I can't think of any possible reason why this needs to be a thing. Isn't that why portable consoles exist, like the Switch? So you can take your games with you wherever you want? I'm just thinking about when GPS's first became popular, and how people were literally driving their cars into the lake because they were too busy looking at the screen and not the road. I mean, I know you apparently can't play while the car is in motion, but still. If there's a way around that, people will absolutely find it.

Mobile devices, portable consoles and tablets just to name a few. I'm just as perplexed as you as to why they thought this was a good idea. It's so ridiculous because the passenger may start distracting the driver and that can lead to all kinds of horrendous accidents.

Honestly, I think it might be inevitable at some point, considering how all of our electronic devices are becoming more and more interconnected with each other. You can already play games on your phone, and you can already sync your phone up with your car. (At least, you can if your car wasn't made in 2014 like mine was.) I feel like this is just the next logical step from that, unfortunately.

Just now, staticradio725 said:

Honestly, I think it might be inevitable at some point, considering how all of our electronic devices are becoming more and more interconnected with each other. You can already play games on your phone, and you can already sync your phone up with your car. (At least, you can if your car wasn't made in 2014 like mine was.) I feel like this is just the next logical step from that, unfortunately.

I put a new stereo in a 2007 Jeep and can sync my phone with it.

On 1/23/2021 at 2:02 PM, Patrik said:

If the passengers are the ones who're playing, then it shouldn't be a big deal, but there some few things that might make it dangerous, sometimes the driver might want to do a sneak peek or sometimes passengers pay attention to something in the road that the driver might not pay attention to 

For sure. I could see it being more acceptable if the screen was maybe on the passenger's dash instead of in the middle. The middle dash should have stuff for just the car, and the passengers can be the only ones who have screens. The only screen a driver will see, is the front and back cameras on the car. 😄 Or that's how it should be. 

As well, when a car is driving, maybe they can input a security measure where games don't work in the middle dash, and will only work with the back seats and the passenger screen. 

15 hours ago, skyfire said:

Unless your car drives on it's own. dashboard games are definitely dangerous for sure. worst case scenario especially when there are kids around and there is a huge chances of accident. 

I don't know why we even need self driving cars. Honestly, they're a real threat to pedestrians and have put quite a bit of Tesla owners in trouble.