Register Now
Cumulus

Is iTunes & Purchasing Music dead?

With the majority of people these days streaming music directly via Spotify, Deezer, Apple Music and others, do you think traditional iTunes and purchasing single albums/songs dead? I remember a few years back I still downloaded a lot of music from iTunes to my devices, but with streaming services I've stopped all together. Until a quick Google search prior to this thread, I didn't even know you could still buy music!

Do you think music is now in a new era of streaming-only? 

It's far deader then when I used to use it. If you think about it it's dead. Most use other netowrks as they offer free services  and not to mention that there libary is far bigger. And really you still can buy music from a dead network of Itunes?

Well I can only speak for myself, but streaming music is something that I have almost never done.  To me its like the radio; I would only use it if I didn't have any of my own music to listen to (which pretty much never happens.  If I know I'm going somewhere, I'm going to bring music with me)  Music is a huge part of my life, and whether I have to get it physically or digitally, I am always going to want to have my own copies of songs and albums that I can listen to as I choose.

I think we'll keep buying music - but in physical form, CDs, vinyls, etc. Buying just one song sounds really rare right now. Spotify is my favorite thing. I love the fact that you discover so many new artists and music there. It's really awesome, I think they'll keep growing and now with podcasts, it's just so complete that I don't see any competition. Having said that, if I really like an artist, I keep buying their albums because it's like a piece of art. I love to read the booklets and to just have the CDs in my room even if I don't listen to them that often.

Most people I know don't even use I-tunes, it's either Apple music, Spotify or something along those lines. Buying music isn't very efficient in this day and age especially CD's unless it's classics which years from now you can auction it off for good money.