Register Now
Kane99

Think we'll see a gaming/phone hybrid again?

I mean, we already have the razer brand of phones out there, and those are great for gaming. But I think we're kind of due for a new gaming/phone hybrid device. Think the ngage for example, but much better I would imagine. I would kind of welcome new phones on the market that were more geared towards games, and maybe even took small carts. What do you guys think? 

I know it's probably never going to happen, but I think it'd be cool to see one of the big console companies trying to make a hybrid smartphone gaming device. 😄 

I used to own the Xperia Play and it was a cool device at the time with the slide out gaming pad that could pair with your Sony device as well to be a controller but it's currently kind of redundant because you get fully functional controls on the touchscreen. The market is more geared towards all-rounded devices that cater the average person and because gaming hybrid phones are such a niche product, it won't really appeal to most people. Gaming phones are a perfect example of this - most of them sell pretty poorly and start to perform very poorly after a year or so.

I don't expect Sony and Nokia to be in gaming phone space. They are restrictive of RAM for their models and you need a lot of RAM for the gaming phones. So I think there is less chance of those two companies coming out in that market. It would be difficult for those companies because they push their assumptions than asking the market. 

I can't imagine that it'll be something that overtake all future one day, but I'd be VERY happy if it does happen and continued to be a thing that's going forward. I really hope it's just not for this generation. But mahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Gaming phones will be far more heavy and higher specs and longer battery life.

On 2/1/2021 at 4:58 PM, Empire said:

I can't imagine that it'll be something that overtake all future one day, but I'd be VERY happy if it does happen and continued to be a thing that's going forward. I really hope it's just not for this generation. But mahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Gaming phones will be far more heavy and higher specs and longer battery life.

This is true. most of the gaming phones are bulky and not really good premium design phones. I think that balance is harder to achieve. 

On 2/2/2021 at 2:56 PM, skyfire said:

This is true. most of the gaming phones are bulky and not really good premium design phones. I think that balance is harder to achieve. 

Gaming phones in general are a gimmick though as their specs aren't that much better than Premium phones with far more drawbacks and they're expensive as hell.

Yeah the issue is that behind that strange designs they are taking care of the heat sync and so they are stable that way. if they make phone like apple and add all the gears included then heat sync is one issue to solve. 

2 hours ago, Syntax said:

Didn’t Razor come out with a gaming phone or some other game hardware company and it didn’t do that well? I remember it had two screens too and even the RBG color on the outside. 

Razer has a couple phones that work for gaming. I don't think they worked on two screens, I think Samsung and another company made the dual screen thing. But, the Razer thing might have RGB. 

On 3/8/2021 at 11:14 PM, Kane99 said:

Razer has a couple phones that work for gaming. I don't think they worked on two screens, I think Samsung and another company made the dual screen thing. But, the Razer thing might have RGB. 

The Acer Rog Phone 5 is a freaking beast with 18GB of RAM for the top end model and it also has a 6000mah battery among other things. The only thing is the camera still sucks but otherwise, it's a beast.

On 3/15/2021 at 1:42 AM, skyfire said:

ROG is not acer phone but Asus phone. Only issue the ROG phones are facing is the heat specific stuff. Though I am not sure how that goes for the near future if they continue to improve. they could replace blackshark. 

Actually they do, have a cooler fan accessory that comes with it. It looks super weird but it's actually very functional but I still wouldn't buy the phone.