Register Now
The Blackangel

Entitlement and superiority in gaming

I'm sure everyone has encountered this at some point. Online gamers have most likely encountered a hell of a lot more of it. Have you ever gamed with/against someone who was so superior that it made you not want to even play the game in question ever again? Or someone who was so entitled that if you won, they would act like a spoiled 2 year old and throw a tantrum?

I've seen gamers go nuts over losing and revert to infancy. There's several reddit review videos on YouTube where the channel host reads a post from people going nuts over being shot in CoD, or losing in Super Smash Bros or some other online game. One kid even got his mother on the game line and she threatened to have the person who shot her son arrested and sue him for it. If that isn't entitlement and superiority, I don't know what is. If I remember right the kid was banned from the group, and after it made the rounds, no other group would let him in either.

I encountered this in a minor scale. When I would beat the neighbor kids in a fighting game like Mortal Kombat, they would get so pissed off. Mainly because they got their ass kicked by a girl.

That's gaming for you. I knew a kid who would always join forums as videogameking or something, and he would always proclaim he was the best, and I think he genuinely thought he was the best. But he'd bitch and moan whenever he'd lose saying he was better than that, or that he just wasn't "feeling it". 

But yeah, you're always going to get those people.

I wouldn't say I quit a game outright because of someone better than me, but I have quit lobbies and online matches when I encounter players I can't defeat. I will sometimes try my hardest, and still fail and if so I back the hell out of there so I don't have to deal with them anymore. Usually doing allows me to get back into some lobbies where I actually have a chance. 

1 hour ago, Kane99 said:

That's gaming for you. I knew a kid who would always join forums as videogameking or something, and he would always proclaim he was the best, and I think he genuinely thought he was the best. But he'd bitch and moan whenever he'd lose saying he was better than that, or that he just wasn't "feeling it". 

But yeah, you're always going to get those people.

Sorry, but I refuse to believe that superiority complexity, entitlement and bad sportsmanship are a part of gaming that can't be removed. This is doing of immature, stupid, cowardly people who just so happen to play games. You find assholes everywharere, games just give assholes an opportunity to be assholes whilst hidden behind a screen, unjudged and without consequence. Well, that's what they believe and hope for. It's basically just another arm of the internet.

It is in the nature of any kind of challenge to provoke frustration. Frustration can boil over and get to even the best of us at times. If someone really can't handle that, it's time to step away, even if only a moment, to calm down and get your head right, not to mention considering if this is what you really want to do. And in those moments, sometimes it's better to say no.

5 hours ago, Shagger said:

Sorry, but I refuse to believe that superiority complexity, entitlement and bad sportsmanship are a part of gaming that can't be removed. This is doing of immature, stupid, cowardly people who just so happen to play games. You find assholes everywharere, games just give assholes an opportunity to be assholes whilst hidden behind a screen, unjudged and without consequence. Well, that's what they believe and hope for. It's basically just another arm of the internet.

It is in the nature of any kind of challenge to provoke frustration. Frustration can boil over and get to even the best of us at times. If someone really can't handle that, it's time to step away, even if only a moment, to calm down and get your head right, not to mention considering if this is what you really want to do. And in those moments, sometimes it's better to say no.

Kinda like an internet badass. Some scrawny punk IRL, but online he is the baddest meanest man on earth. He could easily take down a god and not break a sweat doing it.

If anyone is a joke, it’s them.

On 1/26/2021 at 1:31 PM, Shagger said:

I have to agree with @Kane99 on this one. These people are EVERYWHERE nowadays - even back in my days as a top 5 PVP player on Champions Online, I always encountered these smug idiots with their copycat builds trying to brag that they're the best and I'd purposely challenge them all the time and they lost repeatedly until they rage quit. 

I have actually experienced that both in online games and offline games especially FIFA and PES. There was a guy that felt to entitled that he's the best and can't be beaten. When I had him beat, he almost broke the controller and left the game immediately.