Register Now
Alexander.

Running out of storage?

Using a USB external storage for games is not the first thing I'd recommend. I'd strongly advise you upgrade your internal storage instead. A 2tb SATA SSD like this one would be a good shout. It has adequate storage, reduced load times whem compared to a HDD and much better compared to external storage. They're not desperately expensive any more either. If you can, keep the hat Rd drive you already have to store your operating system and core programs and use a new drive separately for game storage. 

Edited by Shagger

If you have the ability to add more storage devices inside your PC, it would be better, external disks aren't meant for such as purposes (i mean they still can do it, but they are just too annoying to handle for gaming and stuff because of the plug and unplug thingy)

Yeah buy a SSD or another HDD to add to your system. It will be a lot better. External drives aren't as good for gaming unless they're made to be used for gaming. I would stick with SSDs though, as they are a smoother experience. 

Do as @Shagger says. Upgrade the memory of your system and while I would recommend going with an SSD, there are some pretty quick HDDs on the market as well which are affordable in these times. As for me, I'm currently working out a plan for a home server at the new apartment I'll be moving to in March so I can back up everything there instead of on a cloud.

Always going to run out. Many Years ago 2TB was enought, now I'm over 5TB and still not enought. But take those games off that you do not play anymore ans save space 🙂 Leave your 500gb SSD to the OS and have other drives installed. Now you can pick up 10TB HDD drives yet they aren't at 7200rpm, 3tb is the max for 7200rpm but who has HDD where M.2 and SSD drives are the real furture. 

On 1/27/2021 at 8:52 PM, Alexander. said:

So my computer doesn't have enough storage to hold more than one video game, at any one time. Is there any other alternative (like buying a 1TB hard drive) that can be connected with a USB, to store gaming files? Thank you in advance!

Seriously, I really wouldn't recommend doing that because it of the risks involved in using it. It's far more better to upgrade your system's internal storage. 

4 hours ago, Heatman said:

Seriously, I really wouldn't recommend doing that because it of the risks involved in using it. It's far more better to upgrade your system's internal storage. 

I don't think that would be any problem actually, as long as you have SATA drivers. If you buy outdated one, obviously that will be problematic. I don't see any problem having game stored in an external drive. 

4 hours ago, Razor1911 said:

I don't think that would be any problem actually, as long as you have SATA drivers. If you buy outdated one, obviously that will be problematic. I don't see any problem having game stored in an external drive. 

There wouldn't be a problem till you misplace the external hard drive and boom, there's a cluster of problems with no solution to fix. 

8 hours ago, Razor1911 said:

Yeah - modern external hard drives are excellent for booting games but it needs to backed up on another external drive incase this one fails.

3 hours ago, Heatman said:

There wouldn't be a problem till you misplace the external hard drive and boom, there's a cluster of problems with no solution to fix. 

All you'd have to do is get another drive but if your saved files were on the External hard drive, you'd probably have to start over again which sucks.

7 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

All you'd have to do is get another drive but if your saved files were on the External hard drive, you'd probably have to start over again which sucks.

That's the painful part when you get to start all over again doing what you had done before as a result of the loss. 

12 hours ago, Heatman said:

Well, I don't see that's a major problem. Normally, unlike laptops you will not carry your PC along with you. And the hard drive will also remain inside your home. So, there's a slight chance that a big thing like hard drive will get misplaced. Yes, if you talk about DVDs, these get misplaced quite often. 😆

1 hour ago, Razor1911 said:

Well, I don't see that's a major problem. Normally, unlike laptops you will not carry your PC along with you. And the hard drive will also remain inside your home. So, there's a slight chance that a big thing like hard drive will get misplaced. Yes, if you talk about DVDs, these get misplaced quite often. 😆

You'd be shocked how some people might say let me take my hard drive to get some other files as they don't have enough space with their laptop for what they would use on their PC at home.