Register Now
StaceyPowers

Open world games you'd remake as linear games or vice versa

I'm one of those stupid people who thinks every game would be better as an open-world game even when it wouldn't be. Or, at least, I used to be that way. Then MGSV was kind of open world ish, and it made me miss the linear nature of the previous games in the series. But I'm still not one of those gamers who likes to be told, "Go here, pull this lever, do this thing." I mostly prefer to wander around aimlessly and figure stuff out on my own 🙂

It would've been a completely different game, but a better game all the same, We Happy Few does nothing with its open world except show how procedural generation is a cracked masque when in the hands of an inexperienced or time-short developer. The DLC prove that sometimes less is more, with their tighter narratives that focus on characters that I prefer far more to the three main antagonists of the base game.

Dragon Age: Inquisition is another game that doesn't really do much with its open world either, other than gather engagement metrics with the time you spend fannying about going from one dull activity for a great enough reward to justify its existence to another dull activity for a great enough reward to justify its existence. It really shines a light on how Dragon Age wasn't planned to go past Origins, because every story that need be told was told and wrapped up in a neat little bow.

1 hour ago, Heatman said:

I would have asked for a little touch be done to God of War, TLOU2 and Dark Souls/Bloodborne but I'm not sure if they would end up messing up the game as they are already. 

I'm not much of a God of War fan to begin with, but I would've enjoyed (the latest, if that's what you're referring to) GoW if it scrapped its quasi-open-world-ness. Granted, that's just one of the many, many issues I took with the game, but it would've been a start. I can imagine similar things with TLoU Part 2, though I have to say I disagree about Dark Souls, I think those games are better served as open world.

Edited by Withywarlock

4 minutes ago, Withywarlock said:

I'm not much of a God of War fan to begin with, but I would've enjoyed (the latest, if that's what you're referring to) GoW if it scrapped its quasi-open-world-ness. Granted, that's just one of the many, many issues I took with the game, but it would've been a start. I can imagine similar things with TLoU Part 2, though I have to say I disagree about Dark Souls, I think those games are better served as open world.

Yeah, I had my doubts on Dark Souls and if you noticed, it's the last among the list I numbered. I particularly find it more suited as an open world game. 

22 minutes ago, Withywarlock said:

I'm a big GoW fan, but the latest one on PS4 was just horrible in my opinion. I hated it. It just didn't seem at all like a GoW game. Kratos was a pussy compared to his former self. I haven't played it in years. Pretty much since it first came out. I go back and play the others on PS3.

2 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

I'm a big GoW fan, but the latest one on PS4 was just horrible in my opinion. I hated it. It just didn't seem at all like a GoW game. Kratos was a pussy compared to his former self. I haven't played it in years. Pretty much since it first came out. I go back and play the others on PS3.

I really that that what's happened with Kratos in that part of GOW was a fall on his character and I don't understand why it was allowed to be so.