Register Now
StaceyPowers

Do you prefer games where the player character is voiced or not?

If the character is pre-established, then voiced. This does not mean the writers can make shorthand dialogue options though; I want to see exactly what my character is going to say in addition to hearing it. Too many times have I played an RPG, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt being the worst for this, where the text was innocuous and the speech was completely different. Not helping is some dialogues can affect the game later on, or the ending. It's one thing to say I'm not paying attention, but it's another to pull the rug from underneath me because the text is anadequate.

Essentially it comes down the the story the game is trying to tell. Most final fantasy games tell a story. The characters, their losses and gains, overcoming challenges and such. It is appropriate if a lead character has a voice in that setting.

Now the elder scrolls games are games that have stories, but leaves it to the player to make their own. The character doesn't have a voice outside of what the player wishes them to, and in that setting it is appropriate. 

Pros of being voiced: gives the character more personality, makes them seem more "real", instead of just a player stand-in. Makes it clear what the intonation and affect is of the lines you deliver.

Pros of not being voiced: More dialogue available (because it's just text and no one has to voice it). More complex dialogue trees / conversations. Easier to insert yourself in the character's shoes, or imagine the character how you want them to be. 

On 1/29/2021 at 12:58 AM, Patrik said:

Voiced all the way up!, that makes the game even funnier and gives it that modern look where details matter

Seriously, why wouldn't a gamer want the character to be voiced? I don't see the reason why it shouldn't be. 

On 8/18/2021 at 9:37 AM, Heatman said:

Seriously, why wouldn't a gamer want the character to be voiced? I don't see the reason why it shouldn't be. 

if you are familiar with GTA 3, you'd know that the main character had no voice actor or voice lines, but that still made the game so funny and nobody complained

14 hours ago, Patrik said:

if you are familiar with GTA 3, you'd know that the main character had no voice actor or voice lines, but that still made the game so funny and nobody complained

Yeah, you're very correct. It's a game that most people who are into it really enjoyed with any issues how it's designed.