Register Now
Kane99

Platforms from weird companies

What are some of the platforms/consoles that were made by the most random of companies? I want things from companies that don't even have anything to do with video games originally, maybe they produced other products, and decided to jump into the gaming world. 

I'm curious to know, as I imagine there's a lot of companies that did this. As Nintendo, originally made playing cards and I think they made toys. 

22 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

One could say Sony and Microsoft both, as Sony was mostly a home stereo manufacturer, and Microsoft was almost strictly computers.

But I would say the RCA Studio II and the Magnavox Odyssey 2 came from a couple odd companies.

Hmm, I didn't even think of that. 

Yeah I remember RCA, Panasonic, and I imagine various other companies like it made their own consoles back then. It was like every big manufacturer were trying to get into the gaming market. I wouldn't doubt someone like whirlpool or something had their own console at one point lol. 

17 minutes ago, skyfire said:

I think there are plenty of Chinese made companies which are fly by night and they have released switch like consoles which are cheap. they can get damaged any time. 

Most of those were knock-off, clone consoles filled with crappy (and often illegal) ROM's, kind of like that stupid thing Soulja Boy was trying to peddle a couple of years ago. I remember the Wii in particular had dozens of these things and they were all crap. They basically excited to fool ignorant parents into buying from kids. At least most of them had the common sense to be cheap, unlike Soulja Boy who tried to sell his for the price of a PS4. Fucking idiot.

On 2/4/2021 at 2:18 AM, Shagger said:

Most of those were knock-off, clone consoles filled with crappy (and often illegal) ROM's, kind of like that stupid thing Soulja Boy was trying to peddle a couple of years ago. I remember the Wii in particular had dozens of these things and they were all crap. They basically excited to fool ignorant parents into buying from kids. At least most of them had the common sense to be cheap, unlike Soulja Boy who tried to sell his for the price of a PS4. Fucking idiot.

One more thing was if you open those boxes, the whole schematic board was hidden with black dot mass. I think was their way of protecting IP. I noticed this when I opened the Mitashi box which was copy of Nintendo, mitashi was chinese make though. It was marketed as the Japanese brand. It died eventually.