Jump to content
Register Now
Kane99

Did you ever instal a HDD in the PS2?

Recommended Posts

For those who don't know, the back of the PS2 is where the ethernet expansion is supposed to go. But, it is also where a HDD can be put. In fact, you could install a HDD with Linux on a PS2 and use it as a PC. May not work super great these days, but it was an option. The US to my knowledge didn't really utilize the HDD option, as I think support for it wasn't really there in the states. I know other countries even had HDD kits released or something. 

Anyway, has anyone here installed a HDD to their PS2s? And of so, were you able to install Linux or another OS somehow?

PS2_HDD_adapter2-e1519898929966-1170x655.jpg&ehk=tg5AEnLdluEXu3vR3CnzliL7FDX2mEAaCRoPhVOjVgk=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nope, My PS2 wasn't that big in fact it only had a 500GB  2.5 HDD stoage in the system at the time. Even the first one I had didn't even have that but saved discs slots to insert. The good old days 🙂 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/30/2021 at 1:05 PM, Empire said:

Nope, My PS2 wasn't that big in fact it only had a 500GB  2.5 HDD stoage in the system at the time. Even the first one I had didn't even have that but saved discs slots to insert. The good old days 🙂 

Did the PS2 even support drives that size? I always thought it was a small drive that would only work, but I could be wrong. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Did the PS2 even support drives that size? I always thought it was a small drive that would only work, but I could be wrong. 

No, not the big sized edtion. Only 2.5 😉 same as what you get in Laptops. Can you get externel drives for it nowadays? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i used this for a while, the issue is that, there is a sort of complicated process to have games running from the HDD directly in the console, but it's lot better than using discs as you have your whole games installed in one device which is the HDD in this case

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/2/2021 at 6:37 AM, Empire said:

No, not the big sized edtion. Only 2.5 😉 same as what you get in Laptops. Can you get externel drives for it nowadays? 

Yeah, I remember it being mentioned that 2.5 sized drives work. I know my bigger drive fit, but it wouldn't work with it since it's not the smaller sized HDD that is recommended to use. External drives don't work with the PS2. At least not to my knowledge. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Yeah, I remember it being mentioned that 2.5 sized drives work. I know my bigger drive fit, but it wouldn't work with it since it's not the smaller sized HDD that is recommended to use. External drives don't work with the PS2. At least not to my knowledge. 

Try a SSD 🙂 they ae faster and same size of 2.5 🙂 I mean most new devices has SSD in them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I didn’t even know it could support a hard drive..I knew the PS3 supported this aspect. Might have to see if I have a slim or regular size PS2 in my closet somewhere 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/10/2021 at 1:18 PM, Syntax said:

I didn’t even know it could support a hard drive..I knew the PS3 supported this aspect. Might have to see if I have a slim or regular size PS2 in my closet somewhere 

Same here - I was totally unaware of that. At the time, I was only concerned with playing GTA Vice City & San Andreas.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/1/2021 at 6:42 PM, killamch89 said:

Not at all - Mine was as stock as it can be but it did last me for a while until I decided to upgrade. 

Exactly, there was no way I could be able to install HDD in mine because of the size which was small. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Heatman said:

Exactly, there was no way I could be able to install HDD in mine because of the size which was small. 

At the time, I just didn't care about updating the HDD, I just wanted to play my games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, killamch89 said:

At the time, I just didn't care about updating the HDD, I just wanted to play my games.

And there absolutely nothing wrong with that. It never stopped anyone from ever playing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...