Register Now
StaceyPowers

Has anything ever offended you in a game?

The only time I think a game offended me with any just cause to be offended was Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 with terrorist attacks in London. At the time I lived in a small village in the North so there was absolutely no terrorist threat whatsoever, but I was still shaken by the London bus and train bombings. Showing similar, action-ised affairs in MW3 six years later is a long time, but it was still fresh in my mind as a horrific event. I could probably play it today without any issue, but I remember actively hating Sledgehammer for such an attempt at shock value.

I suppose the thing I'd find most offensive about that today would be that they didn't get the same backlash as Modern Warfare 2's 'No Russian' mission. All the budget that went into that.... wasted.

I pay homage to the Gods and Goddesses of ancient Greece. God Of War is directly related to Them. When people refer to all of Them as myths, then I get extremely offended. Just because they don't believe in Them that makes Them a myth?

Is jesus a myth?
Is Allah a myth?
Is jehova a myth?

Then shut the fuck up. Your bigoted bullshit needs to stay in your god damn head.

Super Columbine Massacre RPG I think is the most offensive game I've ever heard of. You shoot up the school as cutesy cartoon versions of the real-world killers, then continue your adventure in hell. It was supposed to be some kind of subdued critique of the culture that made such events possible, but I mean come on: How many people could possibly get past that presentation? The friends and family of the deceased certainly weren't amused. These were real kids. It's not cute.

Edited by Jaicee

Nothing has offended me, but then again I don't play much of anything too controversial, so I can't really say. 

12 minutes ago, Jaicee said:

Super Columbine Massacre RPG I think is the most offensive game I've ever heard of. You shoot up the school as cutesy cartoon versions of the real-world killers, then continue your adventure in hell. It was supposed to be some kind of subdued critique of the culture that made such events possible, but I mean come on: How many people could possibly get past that presentation? The friends and family of the deceased certainly weren't amused. These were real kids. It's not cute.

Yeah that's messed up. I think I remember hearing about that. Reminds me of that game about assassinating JFK. Now I just wonder how many games have come out based around tragic events. 

I made a post about this same thing a couple years ago. There is also Custer's Revenge on Atari 2600. It's just a white cowboy with a hard dick going around and raping Native American women. That's literally the entire game. There weren't censors in the days it was released, so there was no one to block it from coming out. A lot of kids were able to have it because their parents thought it was just some kind of child friendly western game.

Not quite.

40 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

There's another series created by a white supremacist group called Ethnic Cleansing. It's as sick as it sounds.

WTF; so that bigoted b.s. has already been done? This is exactly what happens when terrorists have free speech. And people don't think a government infiltrated by those bigots won't make a whole genre of games like that??? I'm literally pissed some fuck heads actually allowed such a thing to be published. 

I think getting offended by videogames shows that people can't separate reality from fiction. Nothing in a videogame can offend me because it is not real.

Offence is taken, not given. If you choose to get offended by a work of fiction it is on you.

What about when it's not a work of fiction?

Super Columbine Massacre RPG
JFK Reloaded
Ethnic Cleansing

Are all people just supposed to say "oh well" to those? Personally the first two don't bother me all that much, but the Ethnic Cleansing does.

And also calling the Gods and Goddesses I worship myths in God of War is pretty fucking offensive. If someone was to make a game calling everything in xtianity myth, the world would catch fire. How is someone supposed to not take offense to that? it's ok that what I believe is nothing but myth, but what you believe is reality?

I make sure that blood flows over that. I've done it before, I'll do it again.

4 hours ago, m76 said:

I think getting offended by videogames shows that people can't separate reality from fiction. Nothing in a videogame can offend me because it is not real.

Offence is taken, not given. If you choose to get offended by a work of fiction it is on you.

I think I disagree with that. The fiction that we consume as a society says a lot about us and who we are and what we value. Conversely, the fiction that we consume also plays a role in shaping our society. I can't think of an example from a specific video game, but let's say there was a video game that had a negative/stereotypical portrayal of a trans person, for instance. For the people that are out there who think it's OK to be transphobic, playing that video game reinforces that belief in their minds. 

8 minutes ago, staticradio725 said:

I think I disagree with that. The fiction that we consume as a society says a lot about us and who we are and what we value. Conversely, the fiction that we consume also plays a role in shaping our society. I can't think of an example from a specific video game, but let's say there was a video game that had a negative/stereotypical portrayal of a trans person, for instance. For the people that are out there who think it's OK to be transphobic, playing that video game reinforces that belief in their minds. 

THANK YOU!

1 hour ago, staticradio725 said:

What you describe is censorship.

How does that help? 

Say you can't have a stereotypical depiction of a trans person but you can have a stereotypical depiction of a redneck? That is the double standard that drives hate. I think most people who are transphobic don't actually hate trans people, but the fact that they are treated as sacred cows, off limits to making fun of or depicting them freely.

Politicians have been arguing that videogame violence makes kids violent, when in reality the opposite is true.

But here you are arguing that depicting transphobia would make people transphobic? No chance.

If you drive an idea underground it will fester and spread, if you put it out in the open then everyone can see how ridiculous it is.