Register Now
StaceyPowers

Favorite developers?

I can't say I have any current favorite developers who I'd be excited about no matter what they make.

There were a few names that stood out in the past, but they are long extinct.

DSI - Distinctive Software Inc (probably one of the first acquisitions by EA in 1991, became EA Canada)

Eden Games - developed my all time favorite racing games, technically the company name still exists but only have a handful of people developing mobile games, for all intents and purposes the eden games I loved died in 2013.

Westwood - Acquired by EA then shut down in 2003

ION Storm - Defunct in 2005

There's usually some caveat to my favourites. Obsidian, for instance, are a great studio when they have the right direction. They often do not. Rare are a great studio when they're not suffering Stockholm Syndrome. They often are.

But those are the only two favourites of mine with seemingly consistent teams and job security within them. There's plenty of other studios we can name where the brand means nothing because people come and go constantly (BioWare and Blizzard come to mind).

I'm always super hyped about anything Remedy makes. I honestly haven't played much of the Max Payne franchise, but Alan Wake is probably one of my favorite games, and I loved both Quantum Break and Control. I'm still holding out hope for Alan Wake 2, but at this point I'm not not sure that's ever gonna happen. 

Bethesda cause they have been and still are one of the few developers that can actually make a true open world game, a world that feels "living" and holds up its own against gameplay, art, story etc, something which so many other games like Mad Max, TW3, GTA5 etc. fail in. After the Creation Club crap though, I just don't care about their products anymore.

On 2/2/2021 at 5:40 PM, Empire said:

Bethesda cause they have been and still are one of the few developers that can actually make a true open world game, a world that feels "living" and holds up its own against gameplay, art, story etc, something which so many other games like Mad Max, TW3, GTA5 etc. fail in. After the Creation Club crap though, I just don't care about their products anymore.

Bethesda is undoubtedly better than Rockstar in comparison to open world games. Skyrim has much better gameplay, but the details and graphics is somewhat better in GTA.

7 hours ago, Razor1911 said:

Bethesda is undoubtedly better than Rockstar in comparison to open world games. Skyrim has much better gameplay, but the details and graphics is somewhat better in GTA.

Yeah, you're absolutely right about Bethesda when it comes to being the very best when it comes to developing open world games. No other company beats them at it for now. 

On 1/30/2021 at 9:35 PM, StaceyPowers said:

Who are your favorite developers, past and present? I can’t say for the present because I am so behind with games, but with respect to the past, Obsidian comes to mind.

Presently, it's argued that Nintendo is the very best with what they are producing all over in games. 

1 hour ago, killamch89 said:

Before the whole Cyberpunk thing, CDPR was one of my favorites, Nintendo is too although I dislike some of their practices. I probably would have said Sony a couple of years ago but not now.

So, as of right now, which company would you rate to be the number one or the very best among them all? 

8 hours ago, Heatman said:

So, as of right now, which company would you rate to be the number one or the very best among them all? 

If you had asked me this question, I would have choosen sony obviously. No matter, how many more comes and goes, this will probably remain the best and favourite one for me. 😁

Edited by Razor1911