Register Now
Patrik

Last played 2D games

I've said it before, and I still stand by it, despite it being a minority's opinion in the gaming community. Video games are not art. I say that because they serve a purpose beyond themselves. To entertain, to educate as well as provide challenge and competition. So, I compare them to borad games or card games. However, there's a lot of art to be found within their design, much like playing cards and chess pieces.

I bring this up because this topic makes me think of a game called Child of Light. It's a 2D, open side-scrolling RPG game. Everything about it is work of art, and that's it's appeal. It's obviously gorgeous with a vibrant, watercolor art style with a heartfelt story. Even the dialogue itself is a work of art, it's all written as poetry. The only reason I don't consider it as a work of art is because it's actually a good game, with a dynamic turn based battle system and more exploration that one might expect.

It's an easy game to recommend and I feel is one of Ubisoft's overlooked gems.

Last 2D game I remember played was one of those Castlevania clones, or it may have been by the guy who made the original game. I forget though. I think it was like Blood Stained: Ritual of the night? maybe, idk. I remember it being a decent game. 

On 2/7/2021 at 10:40 PM, Shagger said:

I've said it before, and I still stand by it, despite it being a minority's opinion in the gaming community. Video games are not art. I say that because they serve a purpose beyond themselves. To entertain, to educate as well as provide challenge and competition. So, I compare them to borad games or card games. However, there's a lot of art to be found within their design, much like playing cards and chess pieces.

I bring this up because this topic makes me think of a game called Child of Light. It's a 2D, open side-scrolling RPG game. Everything about it is work of art, and that's it's appeal. It's obviously gorgeous with a vibrant, watercolor art style with a heartfelt story. Even the dialogue itself is a work of art, it's all written as poetry. The only reason I don't consider it as a work of art is because it's actually a good game, with a dynamic turn based battle system and more exploration that one might expect.

It's an easy game to recommend and I feel is one of Ubisoft's overlooked gems.

I'd argue that there's much more to art than it just being art though. I mean, art can entertain, educate as well as provide people with insights into ones mind and ideas, as well as our history. I feel like art can be found in just about anything. But, to each their own. 

Edited by Kane99

10 hours ago, skyfire said:

Not sure if I mentioned about it already but Limbo is one of the good runner games which has pretty dark vibe for a reason and also a good experience in the puzzles. 

Limbo was great, but I gave up after one section I couldn't get past. And I tried forever. I just got annoyed and quit from there. I should give it another try soon. 

22 hours ago, Alexander. said:

It's a real shame that lockdowns around the world have forced Arcades to closed

I actually thought that they gone for good, just because modern technology invaded everyone's house, which means no need to play those old titles for the majority. They are closed here too, but years before the lockdown because the number of interested people has reduced :(

On 3/4/2021 at 8:12 PM, skyfire said:

Which checking out android games I came across FEZ. I am sure some of you may like it. 

this seems to be giving a unique vibe to be honest, and it's only 10 bucks on steam, i'll make sure to give it a try, thanks for the suggestion!