Register Now
Kane99

Hidden things consoles could do

What are some consoles that had hidden things you could do? I know some consoles had expansion slots, or other slots on the bottom or side of the console. I always wondered what the NES's bottom door was for. I imagine you could install something there at some point. But what are some hidden things consoles can do? Maybe there's a secret menu you can get to, a connection like I mentioned above that takes a certain cart or adapter. I know the Sega Saturn for example had an expansion slot, but I never knew what it was for. 

I know there is a slot on the bottom of the N64, that could connect to a 64DD device, to I think add extra ram or something, or maybe a CD drive. I forget. Anyway, it never came to the states, but it was in Japan I believe. Actually, wasn't it for online support? 

It wasn't hidden so much as underutilised, but on the Xbox 360 there were various 'modes' you could set your controller to via the Guide button. These however didn't seem to change much of anything in early games, and were probably forgotten after the first wave of games for that system. Similarly the type of gamer per your Gamercard (Underground, Family, Recreational) you were was I think supposed to match you up with similar players via Xbox Live, but again didn't seem to do anything.

5 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

It wasn't hidden so much as underutilised, but on the Xbox 360 there were various 'modes' you could set your controller to via the Guide button. These however didn't seem to change much of anything in early games, and were probably forgotten after the first wave of games for that system. Similarly the type of gamer per your Gamercard (Underground, Family, Recreational) you were was I think supposed to match you up with similar players via Xbox Live, but again didn't seem to do anything.

I remember setting mine to Underground because teenage me though it sounded cool, even though I had very little idea of what it actually did.

The first thing that comes to mind for me is that on the PS2, you can rotate the PlayStation logo so that you can have it the right way up both in horizontal and vertical mode. I just learned this quite recently and was blown away. 

On 2/3/2021 at 10:04 AM, Withywarlock said:

Well most people didn't read the instructions or the instructions were in chinese when using older consoles, so I dunno, I never knew about many other features of consoles.

On 2/2/2021 at 6:42 PM, Kane99 said:

I know there is a slot on the bottom of the N64, that could connect to a 64DD device, to I think add extra ram or something, or maybe a CD drive. I forget. Anyway, it never came to the states, but it was in Japan I believe. Actually, wasn't it for online support? 

It was released for a very short time, but the sales were so dismal that Nintendo would have actually lost money to continue to produce it. That's why it was never released outside of Japan. You can get a 64DD on eBay, but I haven't seen any there for less that $1500. So unless you're a Nintendo or general video game collector, it's not worth wasting the money on.

6 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

It was released for a very short time, but the sales were so dismal that Nintendo would have actually lost money to continue to produce it. That's why it was never released outside of Japan. You can get a 64DD on eBay, but I haven't seen any there for less that $1500. So unless you're a Nintendo or general video game collector, it's not worth wasting the money on.

I would never waste money on it. If I saw it out in the wild for cheap, maybe then. But yeah, I remember it coming out in Japan only. Would have been cool if it took off and came to the states though. Wonder how much life it would have gotten out of the N64. 

Just now, Patrik said:

for example, only few people know that some consoles are able to play media ;)

in my country i meant, and those few people, actually found out about that by their curiosity, they tried normal DVD's in their consoles and got surprised