Register Now
Kane99

Cyclists Are Now Cheating In Video Games As Well As Real Life

In other news I didn't see coming. I guess cyclists are playing a popular game called Zwift, which allows gamers to use an actual exercise bike to play the game. Essentially you control the speed based on how fast you're going on your bike. It's pretty cool. I would totally get it if it's not too expensive. Anyway, that's beside the point. There are cyclists who are finding ways of cheating in game, and it sounds like they're playing other players too. 

One person edited data in the game to increase her speed, which made it faster than her pedaling did. Another player was caught doing a similar thing, but at a 9 % boost or so. So far these are the only two people who were banned, but there could be other cheaters. 

You can read about this news here - Kotaku

I'm trying to improve my physical fitness and a cycling machine and video game tie-in would be a wonderful motivator for doing so, so it's a shame to hear about cheaters. I didn't realise cheating was so rife in the cycling world either, but I can easily imagine it being amplified in a game such as Zwift. I was quite enthusiastic about this, but if my progression is going to be made less motivating by seeing other people soar via cheats, I'd perhaps feel disheartened in cycling for fitness and simply carry on walking.

Still, thanks for sharing this all the same. I like being reminded of the idea of Zwift. ^^

Seems odd to me for some reason. You'd think the people who would be into the type of thing would be people who are cyclists first and gamers second, which seems to me like it would deter cheating. But hey, I guess competition brings out the worst in all of us. It's not like Tour de France cyclists haven't been cheating with steroids for years lol

22 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

I'm trying to improve my physical fitness and a cycling machine and video game tie-in would be a wonderful motivator for doing so, so it's a shame to hear about cheaters. I didn't realise cheating was so rife in the cycling world either, but I can easily imagine it being amplified in a game such as Zwift. I was quite enthusiastic about this, but if my progression is going to be made less motivating by seeing other people soar via cheats, I'd perhaps feel disheartened in cycling for fitness and simply carry on walking.

Still, thanks for sharing this all the same. I like being reminded of the idea of Zwift. ^^

I'm sure there are other options out there like Zwift that are cheaper. I'd do a google search just in case. 

21 hours ago, m76 said:

I wanted to try that but zwift is expensive besides you need to buy a proper bike to put on it, so I just got a regular exercise bike without any digital connectivity for 1/5th the price.

Yeah I can see it being very pricey, especially having to get a bike to utilize it. And yeah, workout bikes are pretty cheap these days. Really good ones can get high in price though. 

2 hours ago, staticradio725 said:

Seems odd to me for some reason. You'd think the people who would be into the type of thing would be people who are cyclists first and gamers second, which seems to me like it would deter cheating. But hey, I guess competition brings out the worst in all of us. It's not like Tour de France cyclists haven't been cheating with steroids for years lol

I can see fitness being a big one too, but yeah, cyclists would probably be first to purchase a device/service like this.