Register Now
Vaporpublico

JRPG vs RPG

39 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

I've never seen the acronym JRPG. I know what RPG is. I know what MMORPG is. But I don't know what JRPG is. Is it Junior Role Playing Game? That's the only J word I can think of that could fit there. but then again I have a somewhat limited vocabulary at times.

JRPG is Japanese Roleplaying Game. Other acronyms include:

• CRPG (Computer - often mistake as Classic)
  • ARPG (Action)
  • SRPG (Strategy)
  • TRPG (Tactics, which sometimes falls into the Strategy/Computer category. This acronym is also interchangable with Tabletop RPG, which I call TTRPG)
  • WRPG (a newer one, Western RPG, often used when "just RPG" isn't quite enough)
15 hours ago, Vaporpublico said:

Which is your favorite? I really like both, but I find myself more immersed on JRPGS. They take alot of time and... grinding... 

Computer Roleplaying games (CRPG) are my go-to for roleplaying games in the West, however I've recently fell in love with Yakuza and Dark Souls, both games I'd consider JRPGs not just for their countries of origin but the atmosphere which they give off, which might well be because they're made overseas. I know I'll always get a solid game with a JRPG, whereas Western RPGs can be very hit or miss.

Edited by Withywarlock