Register Now
Kane99

When did you know that gaming was important to you?

When did you realize that video games were important to you? I have played games my whole life, and I feel that they became important to me around my middle school years. It's when I wanted to become a game tester and then quickly changed my mind. But it's more than that. Gaming is my escape from reality. But it can also be a way to spend time with family and friends. 

But, when did you first realize that gaming was an important part of your life? Where it became apparent that you would never stop gaming? For me, I think that time came with SMB3, and then again with the likes of Vice City, Call of Duty 4 and so on. 

What about you? 

I don't say it's important. Gaming can be a great stress relief, or a way to recover from just about whatever in away. It's shown to give users faster reflexes and reaction times and to be able to organize and "multi-task" (compartmentalize) things more effectively. Lets there minde to stop thinking about what's around them and look at what they are doing. People can start gaming at young age but is it that important? Maybe when I did flights sims back 5 years ago

The "Importance" varies on the mood of which game I may play and when. I use to be hardcore dedicated to where i would spend 17 hours a day gaming; NOT KIDDING. These days are much less hardcore and dedicated; more so proper and casual style; 30 minutes to an hour depending on the game; try to focus on limiting the extension of how many hours i go over for a specific title. RPG's may take longer cause of the story; wrestling games; shooters take a bit much but really it's just a "few" hours or less for anything now. I space out gaming more so then ever before. I will say though I am much happier when playing games during a day then when I am not. In regards to "Importance" variations I'd say its different for everyone and I love it when I need to have it. Probably why I've kept my Vita since launch; vary valuable to me and priceless to rid of.  

The ending of Mass Effect 3. Sitting on the floor in my friend's college dorm room, at four o'clock in the morning, sobbing like a baby at having to say goodbye to all of my squadmates, at watching my Commander Shepard sacrifice herself to save the world I'd spent 100+ hours invested in.
I feel like that was almost a defining moment in my life as a media consumer, something that changed forever how I look at storytelling. Every work of fiction gets held up to that yardstick now, video game or not.

27 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

I wouldn't say important per say as it's a hobby that I've been doing for years and I've never lost my love for it. Gaming does tend to help you out in several ways and can teach you very important life lessons.

From my link up with some gamers, they actually never believed that they can actually have the so called fun with video games till they started playing which was a turning point in their lives. 

2 hours ago, Heatman said:

From my link up with some gamers, they actually never believed that they can actually have the so called fun with video games till they started playing which was a turning point in their lives. 

Everybody has to find that one game that really draws them in and then they'll be hooked. I do quite a few non-gamers that became gamers after playing games like Deus Ex.

2 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Everybody has to find that one game that really draws them in and then they'll be hooked. I do quite a few non-gamers that became gamers after playing games like Deus Ex.

Yeah, some games are capable of changing your perception once you give in to playing it even if only once in trail.