Register Now
Tool920

Thoughts on Alan Wake?

I'm actually super hyped for that. It's been a long time since I played it, but if I remember right, the ending of that game left a bad taste in my mouth. Didn't he get stuck in some eternal eldritch limbo under the lake at the end? Would definitely be interested in seeing a continuation of this story. Just so long as I don't have to fight anymore impossible possessed construction equipment xP

I hold the seemingly unpopular opinion of thinking it's a good game. It's very much a survival horror game for people who don't like survival horror, and its story, characters and setting all hit the right notes. I was a bit confused about the ending though, but otherwise I felt it was a very solid game all around. I must play American Nightmare before I play the possible sequel. ^^

4 hours ago, Tool920 said:

Heard Remedy's going to release the sequel. Any thoughts on what would the game be like this time?

Any source on this? Because there's been no official announcement or rumors about a sequel. The only thing I am aware of, is the story DLC for the game Control that is featuring Alan Wake. I wouldn't qualify that as a sequel though. 

Though, I am very hopeful a sequel will come. 

10 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Any source on this? Because there's been no official announcement or rumors about a sequel. The only thing I am aware of, is the story DLC for the game Control that is featuring Alan Wake. I wouldn't qualify that as a sequel though. 

Though, I am very hopeful a sequel will come. 

I know the two share the same universe but that's as official as this news gets. The rest is what is essentially baseless rumour. If Alan Wake 2: Castle Rock Boogaloo happens, the rumours won't be a 'told you so' because the evidence didn't exist until Remedy put something obvious out themselves.

I absolutely adored Alan Wake (past tense because it has been a while since I've last played). The gameplay was fine to me because it wasn't so much the shooting itself that I looked into for variety, than the situation I was put in. Sure, the shooting and dark/light/shoot mechanic doesn't change much, but the scenarios and context are what changes up. And the taken being able to show up in seemingly any object adds to that terror of the unknown and unexpected.

I cared less about the gunplay because I valued the game more as a horror/thriller experience, than anything. The amount of times I felt sheer anxiety about escaping my situation, or rushing to my objective because I was that invested in it, made the game so memorable. The shooting mechanics were just a vehicle for that experience.

5 hours ago, Empire said:

I absolutely adored Alan Wake (past tense because it has been a while since I've last played). The gameplay was fine to me because it wasn't so much the shooting itself that I looked into for variety, than the situation I was put in. Sure, the shooting and dark/light/shoot mechanic doesn't change much, but the scenarios and context are what changes up. And the taken being able to show up in seemingly any object adds to that terror of the unknown and unexpected.

I cared less about the gunplay because I valued the game more as a horror/thriller experience, than anything. The amount of times I felt sheer anxiety about escaping my situation, or rushing to my objective because I was that invested in it, made the game so memorable. The shooting mechanics were just a vehicle for that experience.

Agreed. I remember so much panic running after seeing a streetlamp in the distance. Sprinting like a madman with only one sliver of health left and about twenty Taken on my heels. xD
I remember enjoying that particular save point mechanic, actually. And that one level with the rock concert stage 😄

On the other hand, while the idea behind the game was definitely solid, I did think some of the characters were a bit cliche. Or a lot cliche. Tough sherrif lady. Comic relief sidekick. Love interest with no personality. Granted, I feel like a lot of the characters in this genre tend to be on the cliche side in general. But if we do get a sequel, I'd definitely be happy to see some better writers on board.

Alan Wake was not bad, but it was a hollow shadow compared to what it was originally supposed to be until  Microsoft had paid off Remedy, to do an XBOX exclusive game instead of a PC game pushing boundaries. It was scaled back in scope and technology as well. It was originally planned as an open world game, where the whole town is freely explorable (evidence of which was found in  the game files by modders) Also the dynamic physics based weather system was completely scrapped in order for the game to run on the limited hardware of the xbox.

I don't think Alan Wake was that bad - If anything, it's one of the more underrated games I've played in the last two decades. The story is pretty solid and the gameplay was solid as well although I think there were areas that needed a bit of improvement.