Register Now
Kane99

Grand Theft Auto V Has Shipped Over 140 Million Units

We all knew Grand Theft Auto V broke records during its initial release, but it's continuing to make that record even harder to obtain, as they have sold over 140 millions units of GTA V, that is an impressive number right there. 

As well, the article states RDR2 sold 36 millions units, which is no small number either. Rockstar is pulling in the cash big time and with a new version of GTA V coming for PS5 and the new Xbox, do you think it could eventually break 200 million units? Still, Minecraft has sold over 200million, so it's going to be hard to catch up, but it's possible. 

Read more about this news here - Twinfinite

GTA 5 is a cross generation legendary game. That makes me wonder. Was there any significant difference in the ps3 to the ps4 GTA 5? And will there be a difference in the ps5? I think GTA 5 is the only game in the world that never needed any remaster in 3 generations of consoles. How about that; if that is the case.  

I enjoy action adventure games, however, I have never played Grand Theft Auto. One of the reasons why I have not started playing GTA is because of the game size. The game is 94 GB. I cannot imagine to have 100 GB space on my working computer just for a game.

Is anyone actually surprised by this? GTA5 is Rockstar's biggest selling game. The GTA series is their best selling series. RDR2 is probably in second place, ahead of LA Noire and Max Payne. The popularity of GTA5 alone, is so massive it's drawing in gamers who were never into that kind of game. Or ones that had tried the series previously on other games but not intrigued. It's how I got into RDR2. Watching @Rain Dew play it got me interested, and now it has become one of my all time favorite games.

Rockstar is killing it with their current lineup. And they show no signs of slowing down any time soon.

This is absolutely crazy. Rockstar Games have made a ton of money just from GTA 5. Not only have they made a ton of money from selling the game, but they've also made a ton of money from addons you can purchase in the game. When they release the new stuff for the new generation gaming consoles, I believe they will eventually hit 200 million if not more. We will just have to wait and see what happens. 

2 hours ago, dfarmer2001 said:

This is absolutely crazy. Rockstar Games have made a ton of money just from GTA 5. Not only have they made a ton of money from selling the game, but they've also made a ton of money from addons you can purchase in the game. When they release the new stuff for the new generation gaming consoles, I believe they will eventually hit 200 million if not more. We will just have to wait and see what happens. 

Well GTA V has outsold all its predecessors by quite a margin and GTA online continues to be Rockstar's biggest earner so more than likely, it'll hit 200 million within the next 4-5 years.

It's honestly crazy how much they are selling, years and years after it was first released. And the funny thing is that it will continue to sell even more because Rockstar is currently working on the updated version for the PS5 and the Series X. 

Considering the popularity of the game, even if there are sequels to it, I think it may not be out of the question for it to, (at some point anyway) add another digit to the number of sales this game reaches. I've been gaming since the early/mid 80's and until GTA5, the biggest game that had ever come out was SMB3. But even it is no match for GTA5. And anyone from the 80's will remember the craze that game caused. To rent it was a 6 month waiting list.

It's crazy. Some people wonder why Rockstar doesn't pump these GTA games out like they used to. It seems like there's no incentive make another one when you're still raking in the cash from a nearly 10 year old game.

I've gotta admit I'm really curious to see what they do with GTA VI by this point. If they build on RDR2's NPC interaction and put it in the context of people going about their lives in a city I think that could open up to some really neat interactions.

On 2/1/2022 at 1:45 PM, Empire said:

It's crazy. Some people wonder why Rockstar doesn't pump these GTA games out like they used to. It seems like there's no incentive make another one when you're still raking in the cash from a nearly 10 year old game.

I've gotta admit I'm really curious to see what they do with GTA VI by this point. If they build on RDR2's NPC interaction and put it in the context of people going about their lives in a city I think that could open up to some really neat interactions.

It's actually going to take a while for them to do anything new on Red Dead Redemption 2 because their focus is more on GTA 6 now, even though they are not rushing it. 

On 2/1/2022 at 1:45 PM, Empire said:

They have everything to lose with disrupting a still high selling game by rushing to make a new one. So, they know very well how to exploit their fans and the market.