Register Now
StaceyPowers

Favorite roguelike games?

5 hours ago, killamch89 said:

When you say Rogue-like games, do you mean in terms of stealth or in terms of rebelling against some authoritative factions?

its not Rogue-like.  Roguelike is an actual genre, like RPG, Strategy, Adventure, etc.  Rogue Legacy is one of the newer ones that I know of.

1 minute ago, Steerminator said:

its not Rogue-like.  Roguelike is an actual genre, like RPG, Strategy, Adventure, etc.  Rogue Legacy is one of the newer ones that I know of.

I didn't know such a genre exist. Can you what are the hallmark features of these kinds of games?

1 minute ago, killamch89 said:

I didn't know such a genre exist. Can you what are the hallmark features of these kinds of games?

Well ah... I'm not exactly an expert, but a couple of the most easily identiable characteristics are randomly generated dungeons, and losing most/a lot of your stuff and progress that you gained while you were in the dungeon.  For example, maybe when you die you lose all your items, and/or if its also an RPG then maybe you go back to lvl 1 every time you re-enter.  Stuff like that.

11 minutes ago, Steerminator said:

Well ah... I'm not exactly an expert, but a couple of the most easily identiable characteristics are randomly generated dungeons, and losing most/a lot of your stuff and progress that you gained while you were in the dungeon.  For example, maybe when you die you lose all your items, and/or if its also an RPG then maybe you go back to lvl 1 every time you re-enter.  Stuff like that.

That sounds brutal! I definitely have to try this. What are the most famous games of this genre because I could possibly have played it already. If not I'll go check it out.

That sounds brutal! I definitely have to try this. What are the most famous games of this genre because I could possibly have played it already. If not I'll go check it out.

Sorry, I honestly don't know.  Like I said, I am definitely no expert.  But since Staceypowers started this thread, maybe she has some answers??

Just now, Steerminator said:

Sorry, I honestly don't know.  Like I said, I am definitely no expert.  But since Staceypowers started this thread, maybe she has some answers??

Yeah you're right. My bad for not paying attention. I'm a bit of sadist so I'd actually like to try this out - It sounds like a worse time than playing Dark Souls and that'll drive anyone nuts.

Yeah you're right. My bad for not paying attention. I'm a bit of sadist so I'd actually like to try this out - It sounds like a worse time than playing Dark Souls and that'll drive anyone nuts.

I think you mean Masochist?  But yeah, I love brutally challenging games myself.  Although it might not be -quite- as bad as it sounds;  Dark Souls is pretty damn hard the first run through.  From what I've seen Roguelikes definitely tend to keep you on your toes though.

2 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

Diablo and Diablo II are a couple good ones. Especially on the harder difficulty settings.

Diablo is considered a Roguelike??  Wow, I played that game SO SO SO much throughout my life.  I mean I know its got randomized dungeons, but is that really enough to be a Roguelike?  You don't lose your equipment or your levels or anything (assuming your computer doesn't crash or power outage or something before you can go back down and get your equipment back)

16 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

Diablo and Diablo II are a couple good ones. Especially on the harder difficulty settings.

Wait? Diablo? But I used to that game a lot back in the day. I just used to think it was an RPG or something along those lines. My excitement has been ruined lol.

25 minutes ago, Steerminator said:

I think you mean Masochist?  But yeah, I love brutally challenging games myself.  Although it might not be -quite- as bad as it sounds;  Dark Souls is pretty damn hard the first run through.  From what I've seen Roguelikes definitely tend to keep you on your toes though.

Right - My bad. The word is Masochist - I like ridiculously challenging games and get bored quickly with easier games.

19 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

Wait? Diablo? But I used to that game a lot back in the day. I just used to think it was an RPG or something along those lines. My excitement has been ruined lol.

Right - My bad. The word is Masochist - I like ridiculously challenging games and get bored quickly with easier games.

I played Diablo like crazy, and this is the first I've heard it referred to as a Roguelike.  Even If it is, I'd say its missing some important roguelike traits.  I would suggest looking into other roguelike games.  The few I've played have been pretty challenging.  Losing progress and items when you die are definitely hallmark traits.

Cogmind. I'm a bit of a roguelike noob, but I really enjoy it. You can really mess up, and barely escape, then find a stash of solid equipment and build right back up again. There's also plenty of depth, but you don't have to go into deep strat mode right away. Things like enemy resistances are important for experienced players, but you can have fun without knowing them. Finally, there's a TON of lore to collect, but it's all optional; there's a really cool story being told through each run, but you don't have to pay attention if you just want to shoot missiles at baddies and fly around like you own the place.