Register Now
m76

Features you miss in new games that were in older ones

What features you miss that recent games usually don't include, but used to be commonplace in the past?

1. I definitely miss scorekeeping and high scores. When every enemy type and or action had an assigned score value, and depending on how many you defeated you'd get a score at the end of each level.  I think the last game I've seen doing anything even remotely similar was Splinter Cell Blacklist.

2. I also miss regular manual on demand save games. Instead of this checkpoint based junk we have nowadays. But when you could save at any location and time in a game as long as you were not engaged in action.

3. Fancy installers. Nowadays when you play a game you just use some dull client to download them, even on consoles the installation of games is only a mundane progress bar. Older games used to have these interactive  installers that already started you down the lore of the game building your immersion just as the game was being installed.

I hate waiting for checkpoints especially when I don't start back at the spot I quit at so I would have to play that part over again. I think it was easier to just go to the menu and equip weapons. The newer weapon wheel throws me off sometimes because usually time is still going but slowed, and the pointer never quite clicks on the item I need right away. Sometimes the wheel works great though. So I'm 50/50 on that. 

On 2/14/2021 at 11:43 AM, m76 said:

2. I also miss regular manual on demand save games. Instead of this checkpoint based junk we have nowadays. 

This is one of the things that I really miss so much from older games that aren't in the new ones. I wonder why these new games can't copy such formats as well?