Register Now
Kane99

Study Reveals Pigs Can Become Excellent Video Game Players

Say what? According to Complex, pigs can play simple games. A study from Purdue University found that with training, pigs can utilize a screen and joystick. They use their snout to move a joystick across a screen, and once it gets to the other side, a treat is dispensed for the pig. 

The cool thing about this, is that the pigs had to learn it themselves, since we can't literally teach them, they had to figure out that moving the cursor across the screen gets them a treat. 

Wonder if this type of thing could be done with other animals like dogs or cats. 

13 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Say what? According to Complex, pigs can play simple games. A study from Purdue University found that with training, pigs can utilize a screen and joystick. They use their snout to move a joystick across a screen, and once it gets to the other side, a treat is dispensed for the pig. 

The cool thing about this, is that the pigs had to learn it themselves, since we can't literally teach them, they had to figure out that moving the cursor across the screen gets them a treat. 

Wonder if this type of thing could be done with other animals like dogs or cats.

What breed of pig? Because this sure as hell isn't a farm pig. Those things are so god damn stupid they can't see an open 16' gate, or remember where they get fed. I grew up on a stock farm and have raised a lot of animals. The only animal I ever worked with that was any dumber than a pig was sheep. I'm not counting birds in this. And we raised just about everything.

Horses, cattle, pigs, goats, sheep, chickens, geese, and even some wild animals as I had pet raccoons. And while they're not exclusively a farm animal, we raised brittany spaniel bird dogs. We had a neighbor who raised pigeons. A couple towns over there were white tail deer, moose, and elk breeders. All bred in captivity.

Edited by The Blackangel

25 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

What breed of pig? Because this sure as hell isn't a farm pig. Those things are so god damn stupid they can't see an open 16' gate, or remember where they get fed. I grew up on a stock farm and have raised a lot of animals. The only animal I ever worked with that was any dumber than a pig was sheep. I'm not counting birds in this. And we raised just about everything.

Horses, cattle, pigs, goats, sheep, chickens, geese, and even some wild animals as I had pet raccoons. And while they're not exclusively a farm animal, we raised brittany spaniel bird dogs. We had a neighbor who raised pigeons. A couple towns over there were white tail deer, moose, and elk breeders. All bred in captivity.

I think farm pigs are very passive animals, that's why they might seem stupid. And that's why passive people get walked on. But compare farm pigs to wild pigs and everything changes in behavior and looks. That's why the Chinese Lunar Pig is usually represented as a passive person born in that year. And if the pigs would get their eyes up from the ground then they could see the gate! Some pigs would live their whole life and never look up if they could. 

4 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I live in a very farm-heavy area, and I concur wholeheartedly. Pigs are dumb af, and that's even compared to other livestock.

To be fair, though, I think a lot of different animals can be trained to do various tasks in exchange for a reward. What I'd really like to see is what would happen if they tried this with monkeys.

5 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

According to the article, it was two Yorkshire pigs and two Panepinto micro pigs. 

On 2/17/2021 at 3:00 AM, skyfire said:

My speculation is that you can literally train cats and dogs for some video games. I am sure they would respond to some. 

That is possible because I remember them doing a VR test with some dogs a few years ago and they were very responsive to the events in-game.