Register Now
Patrik

Did you notice that cheat codes aren't a thing anymore?

Back in the days when a combination of gibberish words used to activate a cheat that could help you advance in the game's progress or have fun messing up with things.

They still exist in few modern games but lot fewer than before.

Does anyone miss the cheats code culture or noticed that they disappeared?

I haven't seen a true cheat code since N64. The good old Konami code is something that brings back fond memories. But the 83 character combination of uppercase, lowercase, numbers, and random characters are something I definitely DO NOT miss. Half the time you got the code wrong because an uppercase I (eye) looked exactly like a lowercase l (lilly). Il. That's "eye" "lilly". How the hell am I supposed to know which one it is 44 characters in when they're identical?

Fuck. You.

Oh, they are a thing, they are just called "time savers" now, and you pay for them with real money.

So why put cheat codes in your game when you can make players pay for cheats like xp boosters and progression boosters, and gear? Basically IDKFA is now a microtransaction. And it's disgusting.

5 minutes ago, m76 said:

Oh, they are a thing, they are just called "time savers" now, and you pay for them with real money.

So why put cheat codes in your game when you can make players pay for cheats like xp boosters and progression boosters, and gear? Basically IDKFA is now a microtransaction. And it's disgusting.

Pretty much this. Some games still have modifiers and fun things to adjust (TLOU2 and Tales of Berseria come to mind), but what we used to recognise as cheat codes mostly take the form of microtansactions these days. 

48 minutes ago, m76 said:

well, cheat codes were a thing in singleplayer games, i don't think that any company would put microtransactions on an offline game, because trainers exist for a reason

The last game I used cheats in, was RDR2 and the cheats seemed to require that I use them often to keep them active. Which was annoying, but oh well, I got to mess around a bit and it was fun. 

Sadly, games don't seem to feature a lot of cheat options in single player anymore, then again, I haven't really looked for any cheat codes like I used to. 

I too blame it on microtransactions, because I could see some studios offering the cheat option behind a paywall. 

55 minutes ago, Patrik said:

well, cheat codes were a thing in singleplayer games, i don't think that any company would put microtransactions on an offline game, because trainers exist for a reason

Every recent ubisoft games has them. That's why  they fight trainers with tooth and nail. And some trainers ask for money now too. It's a hell of a time to be a gamer, scalpers, trainer makers, and publishers all want to use you as a coin cow.

20 minutes ago, m76 said:

Every recent ubisoft games has them. That's why  they fight trainers with tooth and nail. And some trainers ask for money now too. It's a hell of a time to be a gamer, scalpers, trainer makers, and publishers all want to use you as a coin cow.

didn't know about that :(, also, you forgot about miners, they are contributing on the shortage of stock, but that's not our topic xD

7 minutes ago, skyfire said:

I think many games still have the cheat codes. a lot of games are hacked with patches like say PUBG and fortnite. and cheating is still there it is just that not everyone sees that. 

cheating codes are completely different things that cheats and hacks for online games, they are basically integrated in the games by developers 

On 2/16/2021 at 2:41 PM, Patrik said:

cheating codes are completely different things that cheats and hacks for online games, they are basically integrated in the games by developers 

Yes cheat codes were designed for the beta testers so that they can play in gold mode or skip some elements in the game.