Register Now
Alexander.

What is the hardest video game you've played?

Well, this will sound lame, but I'd say Dark Souls. But, when I was a kid, I would argue Tenchu: Stealth Assassins & Tenchu 2: Birth of the Stealth Assassins were the hardest games I played. But, there are a ton of NES, SNES games I'd say are tough too. 

Recent memory, Dark Souls though. 

I'm going to say Rayman. The controls are good, and Rayman is fully equipped to deal with the threats he faces, but the game still does an excellent job of challenging me in many ways to the point of fury and inevitably giving up. It's a shame I struggle with the game so much because I adore its art, animation and musical style, and can now only experience it via YouTube.

On 2/18/2021 at 5:05 PM, Kane99 said:

Well, this will sound lame, but I'd say Dark Souls. But, when I was a kid, I would argue Tenchu: Stealth Assassins & Tenchu 2: Birth of the Stealth Assassins were the hardest games I played. But, there are a ton of NES, SNES games I'd say are tough too. 

Recent memory, Dark Souls though. 

I have to agree about Dark Souls franchise - some of those battles are borderline maddening. I've never played a game that made me swear so much like Dark Souls and I'm not one to lose my composure playing video games. At most I'd be a bit annoyed.

Do ROM-Hacks count? If so then the hardest game I have ever played is Zelda: Goddess Of Wisdom. I 100% believe that it was designed to NOT be beaten. Hitting enemies often requires specific attack moves. For example there is a boss that can only be hurt by a spin attack. Nothing else harms it. But you take 3 hits from it, and it's game over.

If ROM-Hacks don't count, then I would have to give my vote to Legacy Of The Wizard on NES. I've been playing it for over 30 years, and have only been able to find 1 out of 4 fucking crowns. I think that one qualifies as slightly diffi-fucking-cult.

😡

On 2/18/2021 at 10:09 PM, Alexander. said:

What is the hardest video game that you've played? What sort of challenges and difficulties did you face? Did you end up looking for cheat guides online, or was the problem at hand solved by yourself? 

Dark Souls is definitely going to be my number one pick because it's arguably the most punishing game in the modern day with no moment of rest in the game as you get attacked all over the place. 

1 hour ago, Heatman said:

Dark Souls is definitely going to be my number one pick because it's arguably the most punishing game in the modern day with no moment of rest in the game as you get attacked all over the place. 

Not only that but even enemies that you'd consider "fodder in other games" can give you a very tough fight in Dark Souls no matter how strong you are.

5 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Not only that but even enemies that you'd consider "fodder in other games" can give you a very tough fight in Dark Souls no matter how strong you are.

Seriously, it's actually why it tops the list among the most difficult and hard videos games. 

The hardest video game I've ever played to be completely honest with you would honest to god have to be something from SNES a long ways back and that's Toy Story. Because you said hardest I just went ahead and gave you the example. But most older games are hard to play.

On 2/22/2021 at 3:46 AM, killamch89 said:

I have to agree about Dark Souls franchise - some of those battles are borderline maddening. I've never played a game that made me swear so much like Dark Souls and I'm not one to lose my composure playing video games. At most I'd be a bit annoyed.

Seriously, no matter how many times I played and replay Dark Souls, it always feels like it's my first time at it. 

Cuphead, it was sad seeing people play it and that water guy would be like "you got 200 deaths" and with me it's like " you got 700 deaths" and it made me feel so bad. Like I know i'm just really bad but it took me 39 hours to beat the game but at least I did it, 

On 2/21/2021 at 9:52 PM, Withywarlock said:

I'm going to say Rayman. The controls are good, and Rayman is fully equipped to deal with the threats he faces, but the game still does an excellent job of challenging me in many ways to the point of fury and inevitably giving up. It's a shame I struggle with the game so much because I adore its art, animation and musical style, and can now only experience it via YouTube.

It's actually my very first time of hearing about Rayman. From what you explained about the game, I'm going to check it out on YouTube.