Register Now
Kane99

Do you ever import games from other countries?

Does anyone here purchase games from other countries? I've always wanted to start collecting foreign games, especially PS1, PS2, NES, SNES, Genesis, etc. Mostly the retro stuff. But, with the last gen and current gen of consoles, and the PS3 being open region, you can essentially play games from Japan, Europe and other locations around the world. So if there is a game made and sold only in Japan, say on the PS4, you can import it from Japan and it should play on a US PlayStation 4. Same with the Xbox One, Xbox Series X, PS5, and PS3. The 360 is sadly not open region. 

Anyway, enough about that. I want to know, what foreign games do you have in your collection? 

Well, with digital, you never really know the origin country of what you buy.

As for physical games I can't say that I have. The only reason for that would be to buy games not released here, but I don't think that ever happened.

13 hours ago, m76 said:

Well, with digital, you never really know the origin country of what you buy.

As for physical games I can't say that I have. The only reason for that would be to buy games not released here, but I don't think that ever happened.

Most digital codes should work worldwide unless otherwise noted. But, if you have a US code for example, it won't work in another country. 

There are a lot of games that never released in the US and other countries. As well, there are other variations and releases sometimes of the same game. So collectors love going for import games too. 

11 hours ago, skyfire said:

Never had the need for importing. And now things are getting more digital, there is no need for import. All you have to do is just use downloads from the marketplaces. 

Unfortunately it's not that easy, and not all games are released digitally worldwide. Some codes can be redeemed worldwide, but some can't be redeemed in other countries. For example, I could get a UK code for a game, and it won't work in the US. It has to be worldwide or open region at least. 

But even so, not all games will release digitally, and there is still a chance that in order to get that game you want, you might need to import the physical version. 

11 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Most digital codes should work worldwide unless otherwise noted. But, if you have a US code for example, it won't work in another country. 

I meant key sellers that sell retail games online ie. send you a picture of the key from the package.

11 hours ago, Kane99 said:

There are a lot of games that never released in the US and other countries. As well, there are other variations and releases sometimes of the same game. So collectors love going for import games too.

If I was living in a country where many games got censored then it would make sense. Like Australia or Germany.

20 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Unfortunately it's not that easy, and not all games are released digitally worldwide. Some codes can be redeemed worldwide, but some can't be redeemed in other countries. For example, I could get a UK code for a game, and it won't work in the US. It has to be worldwide or open region at least. 

But even so, not all games will release digitally, and there is still a chance that in order to get that game you want, you might need to import the physical version. 

Good point but this is one reason I stick to the US based stores. And considering I don't do refund, it does work out as it is. 

On 2/28/2021 at 8:28 AM, killamch89 said:

Personally imported, not really but I have gotten my hands on some version of games released in Japan. For instance, there was a couple of Zoids releases that I had gotten from my bro back in the day after his trip to Japan.

I am sure it's impossible to do the returns with the Japan's policies and all the dropshipping issues. 

10 hours ago, skyfire said:

I am sure it's impossible to do the returns with the Japan's policies and all the dropshipping issues. 

Some places will take returns, but most people don't bother as the cost to ship back is way too high, so you're probably better off keeping whatever games you import. 

On 2/20/2021 at 2:15 PM, skyfire said:

Good point but this is one reason I stick to the US based stores. And considering I don't do refund, it does work out as it is. 

Fair, but whenever I look at importing anything, I don't usually intend to send it back. Even if it happens to not be what I'm looking for, I am stuck with it. I wouldn't dare ship an item back overseas, as it's just too much of a hassle and costs way too much. It's kind of the gamble you take when you buy anything overseas, as if it's broken, it's probably best to just move on. 

49 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

Some places will take returns, but most people don't bother as the cost to ship back is way too high, so you're probably better off keeping whatever games you import. 

True it's like the return fees would eat twice as much as the cost for some asian countries. I guess they designed franchise and service centers for this reason, but for games that often may not be the case. 

I recently bought the RDR2 Ultimate Edition off eBay from someone in Canada. I wanted the code that unlocks the free stuff. The special edition does it for single player in story mode, the ultimate does it for single player and online. I got the ultimate edition because it was the only one available. We all know that I hate online gaming, so obviously the online part doesn't mean shit to me.

A few years ago I also bought two PocketStations from Japan. I wanted them to unlock items in FF8 that were unavailable otherwise. But now that it's been redone, the items are in the game. I always wondered what the hell a Ribbon did, because the guide only said "GF Learns Ribbon Ability" which didn't tell me shit. And I could never find a damn thing online that explained it. Turns out, that a Ribbon makes you immune to every status attack including death. So I always make sure to turn on invincibility, hook someone up with a Firaga attack and counter, then find a hexadragon, and leave the game running overnight to farm items. I always get the Ribbons I need.

I also bought a bundle of Zelda games, most of them were GBA games from somewhere in Asia. It's been so long though, that I honestly don't remember where.

59 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Careful if you do, cause you won't be able to add DLC content to it if you are in a different region than the game. Guess it doesn't matter for older games. Just get them with all the content already added. 

You are correct. The DLC for most games will only work in the country the game originated from. So if you bought an import game from Japan, the only way to get the DLC for it, is to somehow convert your console to work in Japan. 

That's one risk you take when it comes to import games. You can still play them on your console, just can't play the DLCs for it. And US DLC won't work with it either.