Register Now
Kane99

Ever injured your hand while gaming?

Has there ever been a game where you ended up hurting your hand while playing? I know this sounds like a dumb topic, but I have gotten a fair share of hand cramps while gaming, and even one time years ago I got an annoying blister trying to play Track & field on the NES without the mat. I just used the controller, and from what I remember, I had to push fast and like crazy to do some of the events in game. I really went for it though and later in the day had a massive blister on my hand that I had to pop lol. Of course, back then I didn't know you had to have a mat to play, so I was trying to win in the game, thinking it was the toughest game out there. 

Other than that, I've only dealt with cramps in my thumbs or fingers. I think mostly from Minecraft creative mode, as I used to play that a ton, and I remember building so much that my finger would start to cramp up or hurt. But no injuries or anything. 

Though, I do worry that one day I might get carpal tunnel syndrome from gaming too much. 😄 

Not that big deal, but the D-Pads from the good old Dualshock PS2 controllers used to give the top of my fingers lot of pain after like 2-3 hours of playing, that pain used to stay there for around a week or so, another injuries i had were from me raging (still gaming related xD) and slapping my Desktop so badly..

5 hours ago, Patrik said:

Not that big deal, but the D-Pads from the good old Dualshock PS2 controllers used to give the top of my fingers lot of pain after like 2-3 hours of playing, that pain used to stay there for around a week or so, another injuries i had were from me raging (still gaming related xD) and slapping my Desktop so badly..

Yes, I think I had that issue too. I think the D-Pad for the PS2 was a bit uncomfortable, because if I remember correctly, each button was it's own and wasn't connected, so I think I remember clipping my fingers on the edge of the buttons. 

In the past when I got mad at games, I would slap my leg lol. 

11 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Yes, I think I had that issue too. I think the D-Pad for the PS2 was a bit uncomfortable, because if I remember correctly, each button was it's own and wasn't connected, so I think I remember clipping my fingers on the edge of the buttons. 

In the past when I got mad at games, I would slap my leg lol. 

it wasn't the connection issue between the D-Pad buttons, but it was the surface that wasn't sharp enough to hurt your fingers :p

Other than experiencing a bit of soreness in my thumbs from using the joysticks of an Xbox One controller for an extended period of time, I've never had any gaming related injuries. I've heard of people get wrists injuries from spending extended time on a keyboard but that is also a rarity. You'd have to really overdo it to get any serious injuries from gaming. Unless you mean the people using VR who run into walls or trip over stuff, I can't really see how you'd get any significant injuries while gaming.

On 2/20/2021 at 8:16 PM, killamch89 said:

Other than experiencing a bit of soreness in my thumbs from using the joysticks of an Xbox One controller for an extended period of time, I've never had any gaming related injuries. I've heard of people get wrists injuries from spending extended time on a keyboard but that is also a rarity. You'd have to really overdo it to get any serious injuries from gaming. Unless you mean the people using VR who run into walls or trip over stuff, I can't really see how you'd get any significant injuries while gaming.

Seriously, there were time when my thumb hurt like hell and not just ordinary soreness. I had to look for ways dampen the control. 

I've sprained my thumb from pressing buttons so fast and hard. For example one of the optional challenges in RDR2 is to ride from Valentine to Rhodes in less than 5 minutes. You have to have a fast horse, and keep it going fast to get the challenge beat. To do that you have to keep mashing the button to keep the horse running.

One that I'm not proud of is breaking my hand from slamming it against a table when a game pissed me off. But I was a kid. I was 25 or 26. Either way, that's not an excuse for breaking my hand.

I believe that in most cases gamers would easily pick out the thumb 👍 because it's the one that is more visible to notice quickly. 

Let me ask, no one ever had their eyes strained so much they begin to hurt and drop tears? 

14 hours ago, killamch89 said:

It depends on what kind of game you playing - some people really need to cutback on playing with their joysticks. Let it breathe once in a while...

Seriously, there are games that would definitely give you some thumb bruises whether you want it or not. 

On 8/12/2021 at 5:46 AM, Demon_skeith said:

Might have burned my palm a little from the N64 controller spin, otherwise some button smash games irritates my wrist these days. 

Yeah, it's actually something that is very common with N64 controllers. They tend to hurt the palm and thumb.