Register Now
Kane99

Anyone use those KontrolFreek analog things?

You know those little buttons you can put on top of analog sticks? They're meant to help with better precision and such. I have been thinking of trying them out, but am not sure I want to pay $10 plus for a couple pieces of rubber or plastic. Are they really worth it? Do they actually help with the controls? 

For those wondering, I'm talking about these things. 

Group_8_2x_d86394e7-37f0-470c-91c4-0da42

I've heard good things about them from their users, but I personally wouldn't use them. For one thing if I wanted precision I'd just use a mouse, which is always going to be better with practice. But the other problem is those look awful for your thumb tendons, which are already being strained by the Dual Shock controller, and I'm not sure if that's the case with the Xbox controllers either. Your thumbs are meant to go in, not out, and the threat of lifelong arthritis is never worth a sweaty session of vidya.

I suppose for $10 they're worth demo'ing, but I would strongly recommend against using them for the usual length of your gaming sessions without frequent breaks.

4 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

I've heard good things about them from their users, but I personally wouldn't use them. For one thing if I wanted precision I'd just use a mouse, which is always going to be better with practice. But the other problem is those look awful for your thumb tendons, which are already being strained by the Dual Shock controller, and I'm not sure if that's the case with the Xbox controllers either. Your thumbs are meant to go in, not out, and the threat of lifelong arthritis is never worth a sweaty session of vidya.

I suppose for $10 they're worth demo'ing, but I would strongly recommend against using them for the usual length of your gaming sessions without frequent breaks.

I'm sorry but you don't know what you are talking about.  I've used these kinda things for quite some time now and they don't hyperextend your thumbs at all.  I don't know about anyone else but in 25 years I have never experienced this so called "gamer's thumb" or even heard of it.  Not to mention there are tons of everyday home and workbased tools and Instruments that manipulate the thumbs the same way so I really don't think it's an injury commonly associated with gaming alone.

In answer to the OP's question I do feel like they make a subtle difference but they certainly don't suddenly turn you MLG, so go for the cheaper to mid range ones.

Edited by Crazycrab

On 2/20/2021 at 11:01 PM, Kane99 said:

You know those little buttons you can put on top of analog sticks? They're meant to help with better precision and such. I have been thinking of trying them out, but am not sure I want to pay $10 plus for a couple pieces of rubber or plastic. Are they really worth it? Do they actually help with the controls? 

For those wondering, I'm talking about these things. 

Group_8_2x_d86394e7-37f0-470c-91c4-0da42

They are good if you like making use of the analog control. At least, it helps to keep your thumb well protected. 

On 8/12/2021 at 12:12 AM, Shole said:

It is the first ttime I saw this thing, and from the look of it I am not sure how it will make me play better.

I think it just would help to reduce the direct impact of the control on your thumbs if you are the one of gamers that press down too hard. 

45 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

I can see the practical use of them in terms of making your thumbs more comfortable but their design looks bizarre as hell.

Seriously, they don't really look that bad to me. It's not supposed to be too much, it's why I love the texture.