Register Now
Kane99

Gaming studios you wish were still around

What are some of the gaming studios you wish to come back? Maybe it was a studio that was sold off and changed to a different name, or a studio that had to close down due to financial issues. 

The biggest loss imo, was when THQ died out and sold off their IPs. The THQ we know now isn't the same as the original crew. Oh and lets not forget Atari, which has gone through so many new owners, it's essentially not even Atari anymore. Just in name. 

What are some studios you loved, that sadly closed shop? 

The original Bioware is definitely one of them with most of the original staff leaving to join other companies. That's how we ended up with the garbage dump called Anthem. THQ is definitely a loss because I remember their WWE games back in the day as well as Primal for the PS2 (massively underrated game).

3 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I'd love to see Capcom and Konami come back.

What's going on with Capcom? Last I heard they're doing pretty good, considering they got a couple new Resident Evil games coming. Konami is still alive as well, albeit they've made dumb decisions in recent memory, but they haven't gone anywhere yet. 

Who I wish was still around? A lot.

Westwood : Creator of many classic adventure games and the best RTS games.

DSI - One of the first acquisitions made by EA in the early 90s.  Developed great racing games. And had a big role in the original NFS renamed as EA Canada.

Interplay - They are still around by name, but haven't done anything since forever

Gremlin Interactive -  Lots of good memories from them, defunct in 2003.

Eden Games - Developers of NFS:Porsche and Test Drive Unlimited, the company still exists but only with a skeleton crew making mobile games

Invictus - Development company founded by one person who was the first to implement soft body physics in a racing game. Released a tech demo in 1996, later founded invictus and released their first full game Insane in 2000, that utilized the same soft body physics from the tech demo. The company is still around, but the founder left many years ago, I last saw him working at reflections on the driver series. They made some niche street racing games in the early 2000s, that had many forward looking aspects unfortunately they were also underdeveloped and buggy. But I still loved playing those games due to the awesome physics. They had full fluids simulation way back in 2003.

On 3/4/2021 at 4:24 PM, m76 said:

Who I wish was still around? A lot.

Westwood : Creator of many classic adventure games and the best RTS games.

DSI - One of the first acquisitions made by EA in the early 90s.  Developed great racing games. And had a big role in the original NFS renamed as EA Canada.

Interplay - They are still around by name, but haven't done anything since forever

Gremlin Interactive -  Lots of good memories from them, defunct in 2003.

Eden Games - Developers of NFS:Porsche and Test Drive Unlimited, the company still exists but only with a skeleton crew making mobile games

Invictus - Development company founded by one person who was the first to implement soft body physics in a racing game. Released a tech demo in 1996, later founded invictus and released their first full game Insane in 2000, that utilized the same soft body physics from the tech demo. The company is still around, but the founder left many years ago, I last saw him working at reflections on the driver series. They made some niche street racing games in the early 2000s, that had many forward looking aspects unfortunately they were also underdeveloped and buggy. But I still loved playing those games due to the awesome physics. They had full fluids simulation way back in 2003.

Westwood, Interplay and Gremlin Interactive are ones I remember a bit. Westwood did mostly PC games correct? I remember a game called Re-Loaded that was made by Gremlin. 

32 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

Westwood, Interplay and Gremlin Interactive are ones I remember a bit. Westwood did mostly PC games correct? I remember a game called Re-Loaded that was made by Gremlin. 

Yes, westwood was PC only. the rest made games for multiple systems. I only had a PC at the time. Didn't purchase my first console until 2006.

On 3/3/2021 at 12:32 PM, The Blackangel said:

In all honesty, I personally haven't seen Capcom anywhere. But I'm not into RE, so that may be a reason. And I thought Konami was dead.

Konami is "dead" in the sense that they're raking in a lot of losses and are now open to other studios making Silent Hill and other games as well.

On 3/5/2021 at 6:08 PM, Kane99 said:

Reloaded was the open-world MMO GTA knock-off right?