Register Now
Patrik

Games with their own language

Well, The Sims can be in French 😉 I quite like it, although there is no audio (audio is always Sim-lish). I've learned plenty of verbs so far and short accomplishments will result in a small text for me to read, like a job promotion or a birthday. So anyone able to play games in what ever language. 

I'm not sure if this counts but each of the races in World of Warcraft has their own language, which when heard by another race (especially on the other faction) comes out as gibberish. For example, the Pandaren language consists of two words: om and nom. Gnomish used to be binary code (1 and 0). This is not exclusive to player speech though; a few excerpts of the game, mostly made-up gibberish with smatterings of apostrophes, can be translated. For instance, 'Lok'tar Ogar' means 'Victory or Death', but this doesn't quite work when saying 'Lok'tar Illidari', which literally translates to 'Victory or Illidari', which doesn't work in the proper context.

GreedFall also had quite an extensive translatable language, which is impressive from a studio of Spiders' calibre. That's one of the few games that justifies the jargon vomit that so many fantasy settings and writers think they deserve to spew.

Other than that, there's not many games I can think of.

Hmm, not sure. I know of The Sims and their language, but I'm unsure of any others. Many shows, movies and books have their own languages based on the stories of course. I know game of thrones has many different languages. 

Didn't Fable have made up language as well?

7 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

GreedFall also had quite an extensive translatable language, which is impressive from a studio of Spiders' calibre. That's one of the few games that justifies the jargon vomit that so many fantasy settings and writers think they deserve to spew.

Greedfall looks like a cool game. Just waiting for the sale! 

Witcher 3 has some languages, not sure if its own or if there is an actual fictional book on elvin language? There were also monsters/entities with some language. Then there is the rock trolls trying to talk english! It's funny. 

6 hours ago, Shagger said:

Gravity Rush had its own language, it was some weird blend of French and Japanese. Kat (the main protagonist) singing the theme song is the best reference to how this sounds that I can think of, so here it is.

as a french speaker, i can say that there's no french involved here, about Japanese ? no idea :P

1 hour ago, Patrik said:

as a french speaker, i can say that there's no french involved here, about Japanese ? no idea 😛

I can only tell you what has been stated about the game from the people who created it. This from the game's Wiki page;

The game's spoken dialogue used a constructed language which sounded similar to French; Keiichiro Toyama (game director) created the language based on Giraud's bande dessinée work and his observations that Japanese dubs of French movies felt "natural"

28 minutes ago, Shagger said:

I can only tell you what has been stated about the game from the people who created it. This from the game's Wiki page;

The game's spoken dialogue used a constructed language which sounded similar to French; Keiichiro Toyama (game director) created the language based on Giraud's bande dessinée work and his observations that Japanese dubs of French movies felt "natural"

well, maybe it sounds like french for non-french speakers, but it's no french vocabulary was used (atleast from what i heard in that video) :p

6 hours ago, skyfire said:

I think age of empires definitely and especially their expansions pack that had it. 

Did you call me 😛 

I mean yes you can pick any based country as an empire, yet the words and what they say, is it really real 😛 I mean we all know about age of empires and they say very little when you send them to cut a tree or build, They say yes and no and oky mostly in what ever language they say.