Register Now
Kane99

Is Mario Kart 64 the most underlooked Mario Kart?

I didn't have much time with Mario Kart 64, but I played the hell out of it for a weekend one time. I feel like it doesn't get as much praise as other Mario Kart games, especially some of the newer ones compared to the original SNES one. I just feel like it's a bit forgotten compared to the slew of other MK games out there. 

How do you think it ranks among the list of Mario Kart games?

I played Mariokart 64 a lot back in the day and honestly, In many ways the SNES version is superior.  The biggest issue with 64 was the rubberbanding A.I.  In single player it would always make sure that it was always the same A.I character finishing in front of the rest, and if that character ever got ahead of you they were impossible to catch.  I think it was a feature they added to make GP mode more of a challenge since you would have to win most of if not all the races but it was so blatantly obvious and unfair.

21 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

I played Mariokart 64 a lot back in the day and honestly, In many ways the SNES version is superior.  The biggest issue with 64 was the rubberbanding A.I.  In single player it would always make sure that it was always the same A.I character finishing in front of the rest, and if that character ever got ahead of you they were impossible to catch.  I think it was a feature they added to make GP mode more of a challenge since you would have to win most of if not all the races but it was so blatantly obvious and unfair.

Ah I didn't know that about MK64. That sounds very annoying. But I guess it makes sense considering not many people talk about the N64 Mario Kart much. 

I definitely noticed rubberbanding in Mario Kart 64's Grand Prix mode, ...but honestly I spent like 80% of my time with that game over in Time Trials mode trying to set record times fast enough that I could win Power Stamps from Nintendo Power magazine and get my name and records printed in the Arena section of their magazine.

Edited by Jaicee

I'm not really so sure because back in the day their use to be a lot of people who played the multiplayer mode. As a matter of fact, I know people who still have their Nintendo 64 for this purpose. It had it's flaws but it was always a fun game to play with friends.

Definitely one of my all time favourite games! I would play split screen with my brother all the time and it was great because we had similar skill levels. If you have never played it before ever I would recommend somehow giving it a try if given the option!

On 7/26/2021 at 11:44 PM, Demon_skeith said:

It is a fun game, but I think it got overshadowed by Diddy Kong racing and other popular games like Mario Party and Goldeneye/Perfect Dark. 

Nope - Diddy Kong racing is the one that got overshadowed by Mario Kart and other Mario games. I hardly hear anyone even mention Diddy Kong racing or even knew it existed but most people know about Mario Kart 64.