Register Now
Reality vs Adventure

Why does entertainment industry normalize the male head of household to be so stupid?

There has been a trend for years now where the father/husband always turns out to be such a moron. It is in cartoons, shows, and movies. And they always have a hot wife who always puts up with his idiocy. This is normalization if I've ever seen it. It leaves society thinking it's ok for a guy to be a chauvinist. He can get fat and lazy, while the female stays pretty and obedient. He can make mistake after mistake, and it's all ok. He can be a flat out annoyingly idiot, and at the end of the day, it's all ok. This is not ok! This is the dumbing down of society. Usually the trend is in comedies, which usually are family friendly. So the target audience is families who watch that crap. Then they accept the male head of household to just be super stupid. And I think society as a whole becomes damaged by thinking it's ok for politicians and any job with authority to allow men to act as grown children. 

Characters in comedies need to be as dumb as it gets to appeal to the lowest common denominator. At least that is the logic they use when they make these shows.

It's not just about husbands, it's every type of person. Like geeks being depicted as socially awkward to the point of dysfunctionality. And also every man being depicted as if their sole life purpose is to get the girl.

Even shows that start out well sooner or later reach the point of the lowest common denominator, when it stops being grounded in reality. That's usually when I stop watching them.

For example the Office US version was good while only Michael was this goofy character, and the rest were at least plausible people. But after a few seasons they slowly degraded everyone to imbeciles, that's when I stopped watching that show. And it's not even limited to comedy, some dramas suffer the same fate. They get so dumb after a point that it becomes painful to watch.

I see this mostly in adult themed cartoons. Family Guy, American Dad, South Park, The Simpsons, etc. They depict the father as a bumbling idiot, and often a drunk, and the wife is the hottest woman in town. I have wondered about this for decades, and can't find a satisfactory answer. With it portraying women as sex bombs, I personally find it a bit misogynistic. We're not all wanted by all men. And even if we were, there's a lot of us who have no interest in sex at all. It's a bullshit scenario.