Register Now
Reality vs Adventure

What percent of human population are actual geniuses?

There are 7 billion humans. Some smart, some stupid, but how many are an actual genius? Think about all the things humans have created through our history. We have developed magnificent architecture when we didn't have all the modern technology. We have traveled to outer space and can communicate with anyone anywhere in an instant. From vehicles to designs on little pieces of jewelry. Paintings, sculptures, weapons, electricity; medication, medical tech, ships, and skyscrapers. 'We' are brilliant. But how many are 'we'? If I even think about how a person made a pair of shoes, I'm at a loss; or even my coat or jeans. I can forget about trying to build a cabin in the woods, or even make a bow and arrow. 

Is it only a small number of humans that give humanity an intelligent name? How many people do you know that creates things? What percent or how many of humans do you think puts our species on the intelligent list? I would say only a few thousand out of 7 billion. 

The definition of "genius" is a person with superior intelligence or ability. An IQ score of 140 or higher is defined as genius. Very few people will score that as the normal range of human intelligence is 90-109.

A person can be absolutely stupid in almost every area of life, but a genius in one. For example, my sperm donor was an idiot and a fall down drunk. But if you were to give him some tools and wood, he was a genius. He could do things that most could only dream about. And he loved doing it. If he had chosen that as a career, I would have grown up privileged. There would have been a waiting list for his work. He was that much a genius with wood.

Then you also have to consider autistic people. They are not stupid, but sensitive to things. Many can do and remember things that simply amaze people who are not autistic. They are often genius, even though they may not have that 140 IQ score. The autistic range is far and wide. But it in no way means stupid.

As for me, I'm schizophrenic, bi-polar, BPD, and diagnosed as a sociopath. I'm semi-intelligent in some areas, yet ignorant in most. The muscular dystrophy has severely affected my cognitive faculties. I'm much less articulate than I used to be. I'm also much less intelligent than I used to be. When I was in 5th grade my IQ was 130. I took an IQ test a couple years ago and it was 108. I'm sure it's somewhere in the 90's at best now.

Genius to some. Idiot to others.

Over time, we have brought many different tools to identify the IQ levels but all remain either biased or inconclusive, mainly because we cant have even a broad consensus on the exact definition of genius. 

Marks, skills and talents are just the starting point and as centuries turn, we bring out new talents that needs to be accomodated. The term common sense makes sense because its not so common. 

I acknowledge that some people may be dumb in some areas and a genius in another, and that mentally challenged people may also have genius in them. But what percent of people alive today are the ones pushing humanity forward? Those that have discovered their skills and exceeded above anyone else. Some can even excel in many areas like the term 'Renaissance Man'. Someone who is a master in many different skills. What is it about that time period that enabled people to achieve genius status? Are humans getting dumber and devolving? Is our food and water blocking the abilities of our brains to reach full potential through man's involvement in adding chemicals? Are there some areas of the globe that are higher energy centers that increases intelligence?  

Is the increased population diluting those people that are genius? I mean, let's say Michelangelo was alive today doing what he does. Would his talent be considered genius today? Are we not nurturing the genius of our peers? Is competition so great from increased population that a genius gets stiff handed so that some other can get ahead simply because they had better contacts? Is it easier to be a renown genius back when a king or emperor would personally hire the skilled and give them everything needed to pursue their interests? Today, we have to afford to go to college, then graduate, then find the right place to work at, get government grants etc. Somewhere, the potential gets lost. 

Sure we all can learn to do things. We can study or practice our whole lives and reach master status, but would they push humanity forward or just stay the course. I'm not talking about staying the course or stay on par with world technology. I'm talking about who is actually making the world progress. And I know team effort can skewer that too. But maybe the whole team effort thing is what humanity now coins the term genius. Maybe we nurture teams over individuals nowadays. So in that sense, are geniuses not recognized anymore?

There are people who are recognized for their genius. Stephen Hawking was one such man. Despite having Lou Gehrig's disease, he was the most genius man alive. That title in my opinion has not gone to Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson. I see him as the most genius man alive, and would love to pick his brain sometime.

But no mind will ever surpass Leonardo da Vinici. He was so far ahead of his time, he was often looked at as insane. And there is a very thin line between genius and insane. But he designed the first helicopter. He also designed an airplane, and parachute. Things that no living person could have used back then. Granted his designs weren't viable and couldn't have worked by the laws of aerodynamics. But the point is, he thought them up.

On 3/23/2021 at 10:11 AM, Lord Saru said:

Over time, we have brought many different tools to identify the IQ levels but all remain either biased or inconclusive, mainly because we cant have even a broad consensus on the exact definition of genius. 

Marks, skills and talents are just the starting point and as centuries turn, we bring out new talents that needs to be accomodated. The term common sense makes sense because its not so common. 

IQ tests are somewhat flawed as they rely on knowledge and practice that might not everyone have. That doesn't mean however that geniuses don't exist, or that different people don't have different mental capacity for solving problems. 

Common sense is nonsense actually. it's trying to make sense of complex systems without actually understanding iheir inner workings. Common sense gets you flat earthers, anti-vaxxers, and so on.

I don't think common sense leads to idiocy. Common sense is things like not taking a hot pan out of the oven with your bare hands. Not trying to pet a rattlesnake. Not buying a brand new Ferrari when you only have the means to own 20 year old Mazda.

That's why it's called common sense. Uncommon sense would be a more appropriate term for flat earthers, and anti-vaxxers and the like. But there's no sense there, just a desire for attention, an a will to do whatever it takes. Even when you're proven stupid.

A 2 inch globular object (eyeball) cannot accurately judge a 7,917.5 mile (earth) globular object from standing at one spot. That is impossible. In order to do so, you would have to leave the larger object and get a look at the entire thing from a large distance. That is like putting a grain of sand next to NYC. The sand isn't going to see all of NYC from where it's standing. But that doesn't mean it's not there.

Edited by The Blackangel

On 3/24/2021 at 9:59 AM, The Blackangel said:

There are people who are recognized for their genius. Stephen Hawking was one such man. Despite having Lou Gehrig's disease, he was the most genius man alive. That title in my opinion has not gone to Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson. I see him as the most genius man alive, and would love to pick his brain sometime.

I just saw my fuckup, and since it's too late to edit, I'm posting a correction.

It is supposed to say "That title in my opinion has NOW gone to Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson."

That's a difficult question to answer - If we go by social media, I'd be inclined to believe it was somewhere around 0.0000!%. However, social media is a hotbed for toxic, narcissistic and downright idiotic people who'll do anything for attention. In the real world, the number would be a lot higher because for every distinguished genius like Steven Hawking, you'll have thousands who aren't aware or haven't been recognized as such. Another thing to factor in is what do we define as geniuses? Is it based on what they've contributed to society using said intellect? How much information they can retain and regurgitate about things such as real world issues or is it something else entirely?