Register Now
Kane99

Anthem Next Cancelled

Well I kind of saw that coming. Bioware was working on some changes for Anthem that were expected to release soon, but they instead have decided to cancel these changes and move on. Sad news indeed, but I don't think this game would have rebounded. The user base was so small, that I doubt people would have jumped back into it. Bioware's focus will instead will be moved to Dragon Age and Mass Effect titles. 

The good news though, is that they plan to keep the servers active. But who knows how long that will be. 

You can read about it here - Bioware Blog

I did a write-up on this last year for HubPages' LevelSkip branch, and I'll tell you what I told everyone at the time and before then: Anthem could not have improved significantly via its Next update. People often cite No Man's Sky as the single example of a game redeeming itself while (likely unintentionally) ignoring the myriad examples of games that didn't, or Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, unaware of Japan's gaming and corporate culture and the cost that comes with it. Anthem Next wasn't going to see the collossal changes to the point of making a brand new game with the same name, and improve staff working conditions that would be reflected in their art, because history suggests no evidence they can do it, even with all the time and money in the world.

I hope that all involved in Anthem Next are given sufficient enough time to recouperate - physically and psychologically - before having their desire to work on better licenses restored. I'd hate for them to be immediately shuffled onto the Mass Effect and Dragon Age without a care for their wellbeing and love of their previous project, and ultimately bring down the quality of those games too, however little optimism I have for those too.

And that's one bug Amen. EA can be terrible, but they don't make bad games, they just publish them. When devs constantly throw away and start over games 2/3 the way thru dev cycle and only months before release (Andromeda, Anthem), it's time to stop blaming the publisher.

It had been reported weeks ago that they were going to do this but I'm glad to see that they finally made it official. As, I told everyone who bought the game originally, it was going to flop but even I didn't foresee it doing much worse than Fallout 77. This has to go down as one of the biggest flops in the gaming industry.

3 minutes ago, skyfire said:

I wont say flop. they did good enough than flop. what I do consider flop is cyberpunk as consumer literally melted them with negativity. 

Eh, I have to disagree, as this game never really took off. If anything, it was pretty much dead on arrival. The userbase pretty much dropped the game soon after release. There are some devoted fans, but most people dropped out of the game soon after they finished it.

Cyberpunk 2077 is far from a flop though. It didn't live up to the hype though, but I wouldn't say it was a flop, considering they still made a shit ton on the game, even with all the problems. 

22 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

considering they still made a shit ton on the game, even with all the problems. 

they had to return money and face the lawsuits. flop games go through that. none of which anthem went through. cyberpunk even went through VC board attacking the studio as well. anthem hardly faced any such big losses. so can't be the flop.