Register Now
Kane99

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

You know, it's weird that this game doesn't get as much praise as some of the other Mario games out there. Similarly to my Mario Kart 64 topic, I wanted to start a topic for Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. 

Reason why, is because I feel this game is overlooked by many. In fact, I didn't even know about it until my teen years. I was only aware of Super Mario World and not the sequel. I actually just got the game like 5 or so years ago and played it for the first time around then. It's so much different from the first SMW game, that I think that's a big reason why. Playing as Yoshi and baby mario is fun, but I feel like fans didn't enjoy it as much, though I could be wrong. 

Anyway, what do you guys think of this classic? I wish it was a bit more popular these days, because from what I have played of it, it's a fantastic game. 

While admittedly the whole baby crying thing gets on my nerves sooner rather than later, nonetheless I like Yoshi's Island better than the original Super Mario World for a lot of reasons ranging from its more creative, comic book-like art style to its more solid, less slippery controls and the range of transformations and crazy boss fights and everything! It's more fun.

Trivia: The game wasn't actually intended as a sequel to Super Mario World, but as the start of a separate, Yoshi-oriented franchise whose first sequel was Yoshi's Story for the Nintendo 64. But Nintendo of America slapped a "Super Mario World 2" header on the top on the theory that doing so, portraying it as a sequel, would yield higher sales.

Edited by Jaicee

1 hour ago, Jaicee said:

While admittedly the whole baby crying thing gets on my nerves sooner rather than later, nonetheless I like Yoshi's Island better than the original Super Mario World for a lot of reasons ranging from its more creative, comic book-like art style to its more solid, less slippery controls and the range of transformations and crazy boss fights and everything! It's more fun.

Trivia: The game wasn't actually intended as a sequel to Super Mario World, but as the start of a separate, Yoshi-oriented franchise whose first sequel was Yoshi's Story for the Nintendo 64. But Nintendo of America slapped a "Super Mario World 2" header on the top on the theory that doing so, portraying it as a sequel, would yield higher sales.

Yeah baby Mario was a tad bit annoying. And I didn't know that about the sequel bit. Makes sense, because it's a lot different from Super Mario World. Especially the graphics and playstyle. It's so different. But, I think it was a good idea for them to do it, because I imagine it would have been even more overlooked if it didn't. But, i could be wrong.