Register Now
Kane99

What's the best Sonic The Hedgehog game?

Normally of non-mainline games I'd say something is a good game, but not a good entry to the franchise. Sonic Adventure 2: Battle is both a good game and a good Sonic game, despite it being radically different. When it wants or needs to it gets the speed and momentum physics down to a tee without being as fiddly as the original games, and that depends on the character: Sonic and Shadow, and Knuckles and Rouge being the speedsters, and while Tails and Eggman's stages are... uncharacteristic in terms of gameplay, we at least get to see the characters in their element and the game still remains a platformer. It's really the race segments in vehicles that are the most jarring, that and the Chao Garden.

The music kicks ass, the graphical fidelity's pretty good as is the animation, the voice work's great (even if the direction leaves something to be desired), and the level designs are just all around cool.

It's not as iconic as the older games by any stretch, but 3D suits Sonic, and all the ideas of Adventure 2: Battle suit it also.

On 8/3/2022 at 1:32 PM, Withywarlock said:

Normally of non-mainline games I'd say something is a good game, but not a good entry to the franchise. Sonic Adventure 2: Battle is both a good game and a good Sonic game, despite it being radically different. When it wants or needs to it gets the speed and momentum physics down to a tee without being as fiddly as the original games, and that depends on the character: Sonic and Shadow, and Knuckles and Rouge being the speedsters, and while Tails and Eggman's stages are... uncharacteristic in terms of gameplay, we at least get to see the characters in their element and the game still remains a platformer. It's really the race segments in vehicles that are the most jarring, that and the Chao Garden.

The music kicks ass, the graphical fidelity's pretty good as is the animation, the voice work's great (even if the direction leaves something to be desired), and the level designs are just all around cool.

It's not as iconic as the older games by any stretch, but 3D suits Sonic, and all the ideas of Adventure 2: Battle suit it also.

Yeah I do remember the Sonic Adventure games had decent music. I downloaded their soundtracks years ago, even though I didn't play them. The music from Sonic is honestly pretty decent and catchy. 

I think that's when Sonic was truly good for the last time. Maybe Sonic Generations like I said earlier, but I don't know if it's something fans enjoy or not. I feel like that one should get more praise than a lot of the newer titles. 

13 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Yeah I do remember the Sonic Adventure games had decent music. I downloaded their soundtracks years ago, even though I didn't play them. The music from Sonic is honestly pretty decent and catchy. 

I think that's when Sonic was truly good for the last time. Maybe Sonic Generations like I said earlier, but I don't know if it's something fans enjoy or not. I feel like that one should get more praise than a lot of the newer titles. 

I have used some of its soundtracks and they were good and rare in a way. I can remember one day my smartphone rang in a bus and after my answering my call, the lady behind me was asking for the name of the song I used for my ringtone. They seem to be making more Sonic movies now too in order to give the current generation more publicity towards Sonic. 

8 hours ago, Heatman said:

I have used some of its soundtracks and they were good and rare in a way. I can remember one day my smartphone rang in a bus and after my answering my call, the lady behind me was asking for the name of the song I used for my ringtone. They seem to be making more Sonic movies now too in order to give the current generation more publicity towards Sonic. 

I remember getting a small sonic collection on PC. It was a two disc set that had some of the original sonic games. It also had a soundtrack for one of the games. I remember downloading the songs and adding it to my music library. I think I still have the music on my PC as well. 🙂

52 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

I remember getting a small sonic collection on PC. It was a two disc set that had some of the original sonic games. It also had a soundtrack for one of the games. I remember downloading the songs and adding it to my music library. I think I still have the music on my PC as well. 🙂

That's very nice 😊. If you don't mind to share for me the songs download link if you can still have access to it, I'd like to see the one's I would like to download for myself too. The Sonic soundtrack was a big phase in the game they did justice to. 

3 hours ago, Heatman said:

That's very nice 😊. If you don't mind to share for me the songs download link if you can still have access to it, I'd like to see the one's I would like to download for myself too. The Sonic soundtrack was a big phase in the game they did justice to. 

I don't have that info, and it's probably against the rules to share download links. I think the game was called sonic PC collection. I was in a standard jewel case. It had sonic and sonic and knuckles and maybe another game. You might be able to find the soundtracks on YouTube as well. 

From nostalgia my favourite would be the first sonic game but the game gear or master system version. It doesen't have the same bells and whistles as the mega drive version but damn they did an incredible job with these ports and they still hold up very well to this day. Infact all the master system and game gear sonic games are classics imo (well not sonic drift but that is a spin off).

Offcourse the Mega drive version is the version to play but i only played that one years later.

I feel like sonic colours not the wii or recent remaster but the ds version is often overlooked and imo can stand it's own against the hey days when sonic was still relevant as it's classic Sonic goodness at it's finest.

12 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I don't have that info, and it's probably against the rules to share download links. I think the game was called sonic PC collection. I was in a standard jewel case. It had sonic and sonic and knuckles and maybe another game. You might be able to find the soundtracks on YouTube as well. 

Alright, I'd have to seek it out on my own and hopefully I'm going to find it or another one that's equally good too. I will update you once I get it. I hope the tips helps to narrow down the search results for me. 

18 hours ago, Heatman said:

Alright, I'd have to seek it out on my own and hopefully I'm going to find it or another one that's equally good too. I will update you once I get it. I hope the tips helps to narrow down the search results for me. 

I remember what game it was. It was the Sonic twin pack, it included Sonic CD and the Sonic & Knuckles Collection, which included Sonic & Knuckles 3, Sonic & Knuckles, Sonic 3 & Knuckles. I remember the box it came in, had a cardboard block, that took up half the box, while the games came in a single jewel case. I always thought they would have included another set of discs, but nope. 

This is what it looked like: 

711Qlb9q5AL._SL1000_.jpg

5 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I remember what game it was. It was the Sonic twin pack, it included Sonic CD and the Sonic & Knuckles Collection, which included Sonic & Knuckles 3, Sonic & Knuckles, Sonic 3 & Knuckles. I remember the box it came in, had a cardboard block, that took up half the box, while the games came in a single jewel case. I always thought they would have included another set of discs, but nope. 

This is what it looked like: 

711Qlb9q5AL._SL1000_.jpg

This will make it very easy for me to get it with so much ease. Thank you very much for taking out the time to get me this. Sonic & Knuckles 3 was so good back then, I couldn't stop playing it over and over again. Our good old days was so much fun. 

6 hours ago, Heatman said:

This will make it very easy for me to get it with so much ease. Thank you very much for taking out the time to get me this. Sonic & Knuckles 3 was so good back then, I couldn't stop playing it over and over again. Our good old days was so much fun. 

No problem. I don't know if it'll be easy to find though. I wish you luck. 

Also I wanted to add something to this topic. I honestly think it's time for Sonic to take a long break. Maybe put sonic on the back burner for a few years and maybe revisit it later. What do you guys think? Does sonic need a break? 

16 hours ago, Kane99 said:

No problem. I don't know if it'll be easy to find though. I wish you luck. 

Also I wanted to add something to this topic. I honestly think it's time for Sonic to take a long break. Maybe put sonic on the back burner for a few years and maybe revisit it later. What do you guys think? Does sonic need a break? 

I hope to be lucky as well in finding it. On your question about if Sonic needs a break? I think yes, it does for video games. But from the looks of it, they are making new contents on its movies which I'm sure if they are planning on taking any time off. 

4 hours ago, Heatman said:

I hope to be lucky as well in finding it. On your question about if Sonic needs a break? I think yes, it does for video games. But from the looks of it, they are making new contents on its movies which I'm sure if they are planning on taking any time off. 

I think if the new game that's coming soon fails, then I think it will be time for Sega to take a break in Sonic. I think if that's the case, a break will help the series a lot. But maybe they also need a new team to develop a sonic game. Because whatever they're doing now, isn't working that well. 

But I'll see what the new game is like. Maybe I'm going to be wrong.