Register Now
Reality vs Adventure

What is happening with Dying Light 2?

I've been excited for the sequel to be released...but now it's over a year later? The release is indefinite now due to a toxic work environment from the top at Techland studio, which seems to be directly impacting the game as well as its release.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/23/22297445/dying-light-2-techland-hostile-work-culture-report-thegamer

A more detailed report is here; long read. 

https://www.thegamer.com/techland-report-bleeding-talent-autocratic-management-bad-feedback/

When I read the title I had to double check because Dying Light's that good zombie property, not the other one that's going through the game dev equivalent of musical chairs. I'm disappointed to hear that Techland's yet another studio that wrongly thinks workplace abuse makes for a better game, but at this point should I be at all surprised?

Thanks for sharing this, even if it has made me feel gross.

Recently their twitter just responded to a slew of questions about Dying Light 2 saying it’s still in production and things are going well. Judging by how recent that was, (like Sept 20th), we might be in for some new news soon hopefully.They claimed it's in the late stages of development but with COVID and all who knows when we'll learn more. I'm sure it's still coming, just no clue when. Which sucks because it's my most anticipated game right now, the first one was phenomenal.

I'm more concerned why there hasn't been a Dead Island 2 yet. I remember when that was announced and it's taken longer than Dying Light 2. But, I think we can safely say Dead Island 2 is probably done for, and I can see Dying Light 2 making it out eventually. 

And yeah, I blame covid on a lot of things, and this probably added to the long wait. 

There is a lot more going on than just Covid issues at Techland. Recent months they have had a huge turnover rate from toxic management as sexism, homophobia, and a so called ‘authoritative’ as they call it. The CEO hired his wife for HR with no prior experience, and she is the only female board member at Techland. And they demean ideas from their own team, which directly relates to the development of the game as well as its release. And this comes from employees who are speaking out about  how the CEO is pretty much fucking everything up and bringing toxicity and incompetence in the workplace. 
Really is sad to hear that coming from such an anticipated game for me. The first Dying Light is one of my favorite games. And now it really sickens me too that employees are going through this to make a fun game for us. Shouldn’t be like this. Not at Techland and not at any company. And especially not in government either. This becoming all too familiar as there really is widespread incompetence going on these days. 

Dying Light 2 is like that father that has gone to the store to get some milk and still hasn't shown up yet - 10 years later but you hope your dad will come back. That's how I feel about Dying Light 2 - I want to get my hopes up but it's a broken record at this point. I mean they've postponed the game a million times now.

A new cinematic trailer dropped during the game awards just a bit ago. Reminds me the trailer that Dead Island did all those years ago. Doesn't show a whole lot of details on the game considering it's a cinematic trailer, but it shows what kind of creepy creatures will be in it. 

As I said on another thread, Dying Light 2 is a really entertaining game despite its flaws at release and I love playing the Co-op mode with my friends. It brings out my inner troll. I like kicking them off/pushing them off areas with lots of zombies on the ground and then throwing an exploding cannister down there killing both my friends and most of the surrounding enemies 🤣. They make for good zombie bait.

On 4/7/2022 at 3:43 PM, egghead said:

I played Dying Light but I am not playing Dying Light 2. It is not that my interest vanished, it is just because I cannot play every game released.

Of course we can't play every game that is released but if a game is really interesting you can decide to play the part 2.

With what I watched around the action roleplaying game recently, I can't downgrade it, the game was recently released on October 2021. The game play is okay to me through the trailer I watched unless it deviates from the scenes covered in the trailer.