Register Now
Kane99

Ever bought a bootleg game by mistake?

Have you ever mistakenly purchased a bootleg version of a game? I know cart based games were copied and made into bootlegs a lot, and some were pretty close to the real thing.

I can't say I've ever purchased a bootleg game. I'm pretty cautious about the games I buy. But I've seen some bootlegs and fake copies.  

2 hours ago, Family sedan said:

I bought a copy of Alfa Romeo Racing once that didn't work.  I don't know if it was a bootleg though.

So you tried to play it and it broke down. It actually sounds legitimate copy of Alfa Romeo Racing as it's a perfect simulation of thier cars.

thinkfunny.gif.dcae02e738b5d08123a445293560d5ce.gif

Edited by Shagger

I was a kid back then and i really wanted to play GTA 4 so badly lol, but i had only a PS2 and a bad pc that couldn't run the game, another day, i went to buy some discs for my PS2 and i found a disc having GTA 4 Cover on it but with PS2 on the title lol, so i was so happy and excited to play it, when i inserted the disc, i found out that it's a modded GTA SA :(

5 hours ago, Patrik said:

I was a kid back then and i really wanted to play GTA 4 so badly lol, but i had only a PS2 and a bad pc that couldn't run the game, another day, i went to buy some discs for my PS2 and i found a disc having GTA 4 Cover on it but with PS2 on the title lol, so i was so happy and excited to play it, when i inserted the disc, i found out that it's a modded GTA SA 😞

How modded was it? I'm curious to know if it was any good. I mean, if it's still SA, but a modded version, I could see it being something interesting to check out. Sometimes they get creative with bootlegs. 

11 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

How modded was it? I'm curious to know if it was any good. I mean, if it's still SA, but a modded version, I could see it being something interesting to check out. Sometimes they get creative with bootlegs. 

it was very horrible, it had Niko instead of CJ, with few modded cars and some other added things like fuel mod etc..., not a very funny experience if you ask me LOL

I've never purchased a bootleg game before but I know of friends who did and they ended up with all kinds of weird warnings on their screen. For instance, my friend got a bootlegged version of Vice City in high school and he couldn't save his progress and cheats didn't work.

On 2/25/2021 at 7:45 PM, Family sedan said:

It loaded but I couldn't do anything in the menu.  It said it had some error or something.

It could actually be bugs or glitches that caused that or probably the game was damaged/broken when it loaded the first time. 

Just now, killamch89 said:

Or it could be that because it isn't the original game, it won't function as intended.

Seriously, it could be just about anything for it to happen as he explained. Although, I'm sure it's got nothing to do with his gaming device. 

2 hours ago, Heatman said:

Seriously, it could be just about anything for it to happen as he explained. Although, I'm sure it's got nothing to do with his gaming device. 

No it's not the gaming device but most games even back then had measures to deal with bootleg games such as GTA not saving if you didn't have a genuine copy of the game.