Register Now
Kane99

Are esports going to take over actual sports one day?

Esports is getting huge, and likely will get even bigger in the coming years. But do you think it'll surpass actual sporting events? I am already seeing packed arenas when it came to past sporting events, and I think once covid goes away, we'll end up seeing packed venues again. 

But, could it one day overtake sports? I believe it's possible, but I'm not sure. 

7 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

It will never overtake actual sports. It may rise to that level, but the NHL, NBA, MLB, and NFL aren't going away.

Idk though, sports as a whole has sort of lost popularity in recent years. The NFL for example had low ratings before covid-19 happened. I believe it's because of all the rule changes and overall changes to the game. I think fans are expecting that hard hitting football again, and that's going to change. 

I think with games, they're more accessible, if that makes sense. And I think people get into watching them more than some sports. I know I'd rather watch a game stream than some baseball, but that's just me. 

Yes, it's getting bigger, and yes far more teams then before, yet with lockdown they had to close many down. I don’t think we will see it overtake traditional sports, but I do think we will see more and more games do what Blizzard is doing now with the Overwatch League (salaries, seasons, etc.) 

I don’t see that, although with the fact of COVID and many professionals being forced to play eSport games and that is broadcasted on TV - I’ll be curious if they keep this up after COVID is done or not.

Highly unlikely - Yes, in the current climate, sporting activities are being hindered but it won't stay this way for long because  real sports has way more sponsorship behind it so E-sports will never replace it. At least, not in the near future.

My vote is that it will not overtake actual sports but the esports world seems to be growing like crazy so only time will tell. I personally love watching both actual sports and esports about an equal amount.